PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E
Are there any plb’s Atm that don’t require a dive canister?
It had been explained in the thread.
Short answer no.

Cheers

E

It had been explained in the thread.
Short answer no.

Cheers
The thread has become very deep lol. I did see the group buy for the canisters but I didn’t see the post specifically mentioning no PLB can be used without one Yet. Thanks for the answer.

The thread has become very deep lol. I did see the group buy for the canisters but I didn’t see the post specifically mentioning no PLB can be used without one Yet. Thanks for the answer.

Ya, lots of info to digest. :)

PLB1 is smaller & can fit into an old Sony camera case MPK-PHA. I got this case for $10 from eBay 2.5 years ago. Still work like a charm after 200+ dives, down to 144’ (44m).

Without the case PLB1 is good to 50’ (15m).

Ya, lots of info to digest. :)

PLB1 is smaller & can fit into an old Sony camera case MPK-PHA. I got this case for $10 from eBay 2.5 years ago. Still work like a charm after 200+ dives, down to 144’ (44m).

Without the case PLB1 is good to 50’ (15m).
Great info. A huge load of my dives are shore dives in 35ft or less. So I wouldn’t need a case for most of my dives. Only when going past 50’

Great info. A huge load of my dives are shore dives in 35ft or less. So I wouldn’t need a case for most of my dives. Only when going past 50’

If that’s the case, then you can just get soft case like the one I use for iPhone 6+. I tested it down to 102’ before the hydraulic pressure presses the emergency button on (see the clear button turned to red in underwater picture below). So the soft case will keep it dry and stay off up to 85’.

I think @Dizzi Lizzi uses homemade soft case. I forget how she did it and how well it works for her. Hopefully she can give us an update on her diving experience with her PLB1.

19F24427-6B95-454E-8314-72E0CBF3A1C8.jpeg
55330537-F723-4BA8-9285-3397E4C8C238.jpeg

If that’s the case, then you can just get soft case like the one I use for iPhone 6+. I tested it down to 102’ before the hydraulic pressure presses the emergency button on (see the clear button turned to red in underwater picture below). So the soft case will keep it dry and stay off up to 85’.

I was reading about the PLB1 and one of the things I read said it did not float. Will it sink like a rock if it slips out out of your hand?

I was reading about the PLB1 and one of the things I read said it did not float. Will it sink like a rock if it slips out out of your hand?

It comes with black floating pouch as shown in the picture above. I tether it to the pouch and stack them in tandem so it fits into the iPhone 6+ soft case.

I did pretty much similar way when I put it in old Sony camera case, as shown, below.

At one time I open the case while I was in a pool and threw them in the water. They float and that black pouch was clearly visible on the surface.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This video, below, shows what you will get from the box, shows you how to use it and how to register it to NOAA.

Back
Top Bottom