Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will receive a transmission from the satellite and show that your distress call was received, That is exactly what the item (6) is in the diagram I showed a few posts earlier.

ITYM the purple link. #6 is when the helo lifts off. Hopefully nobody in the whole world has ever lost the call between the ground receiver and the launch pad, but it is theoretically possible. (That's what makes the two-army problem theoretically unsolvable.)

ITYM the purple link. #6 is when the helo lifts off. Hopefully nobody in the whole world has ever lost the call between the ground receiver and the launch pad, but it is theoretically possible. (That's what makes the two-army problem theoretically unsolvable.)
Yes, purple link. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity...
Did any of the aircraft searching for Cameron have IR goggles?
Did any of them fly/search at night?

I can only answer that from my personal participation. I'm not sure what tech the Mexican contingent of the search had. However, yes, the planes/vessels I was with did have IR monitoring capability.

What’s the size difference between the plb1 and the new + models that are buoyant

I haven’t seen a side-by-side picture of the PLB1 next to ACR ResQLink 400. However the PLB1 is about half the size of the older ACR ResQLink model, as shown, below.

C9E0C379-11D2-42F8-9E0E-48D905B74D5A.jpeg

This PLB1 is tiny.

CB0B8B54-1068-4B18-A97D-9E12F44355A3.jpeg

I haven’t seen a side-by-side picture of the PLB1 next to ACR ResQLink 400. However the PLB1 is about half the size of the older ACR ResQLink model, as shown, below.

View attachment 512931

This PLB1 is tiny.

View attachment 512932

So does the older plb1 not have the button covers like the current model? It would seem the accidentally activation shouldn’t occur with the cover

So does the older plb1 not have the button covers like the current model? It would seem the accidentally activation shouldn’t occur with the cover

My 2.5 years old PLB1 looks the same as the new model, but the new model is MEOSAR compatible, which the old one is not.

A58BADDA-0D16-459E-BDCE-290394E49C31.jpeg

8FBD6160-8007-4D97-A30E-C6347FCB4445.jpeg

My 2.5 years old PLB1 looks the same as the new model, but the new model is 30% smaller & MEOSAR compatible, which the old one is not.

View attachment 512933
MEOSAR is the future. I wouldn't buy a new unit now unless it is MEOSAR capable.

Reactions: Dan
Except in an emergency. See H.R.658:
"(Sec. 311) Amends the federal criminal code to prohibit the aiming of the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft or in its flight path. Imposes a fine and/or prison term of up to five years.

Exempts from such prohibition: (1) individuals conducting research and development or flight test operations for an aircraft manufacturer or the FAA; (2) DOD or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) personnel conducting research, development, operations, testing or training; or (3) an individual using a laser emergency signaling device to send a distress signal."
Yes, the illegal part I was emphasizing because when people think lasers aren't a big deal, they will play with them on land too. Same with the calling the police. As I stated, that's not for rescue situations, that's in general, to emphasize it is a big deal.

But again, potentially making your rescue helicopter crash is a far bigger concern. They are less helpful when crashed.

ETA: If you did have a laser, you could do it reasonably safely by going in a circle horizontally, but it's not as visible then. Other items mentioned don't have the same risk of blinding your pilot.

Out of curiosity, can you possibly site some 'helicopter crashed after getting hit with a laser' events?

Back
Top Bottom