Raja Ampat trip on the Gaia liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erwin Poliakoff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Indonesia, and the main purpose of the trip was to dive the varied Raja Ampat sites on the Gaia liveaboard, a relatively new boat on the scene. We started with a few days of muck diving in Lembeh, which was very good, and I will have a separate post on that part of the trip. We have split our dive trips in the past between a little bit of muck diving and a lot of reef diving, and this strategy works well for us. We flew from Manado to Sorong, where we were met by representatives from the Gaia, and everything went smoothly. We took a skiff from the dock to the liveaboard, and I have to say, we were overwhelmed by how nice the boat was. It is a steel boat, as opposed to the typical Indonesian wood liveaboards. I have been on two other Indonesian liveaboards, both of which I liked very much, but the Gaia was really a cut above. It is much wider, which made everything from the dive deck to the lounge to the individual cabins considerably more spacious. The crew was also fantastic (we had dived with three of the guides at other Indonesian resorts in the past). The trip was arranged by Ultimate Dive Travel, so we knew a few of the other divers on the boat before arriving. The whole complement of divers was very nice. Everyone was friendly and considerate. My wife has multiple sclerosis, so she needs a little extra help getting into the dive skiffs and whatnot, and the crew was gracious and helpful; much appreciated. Incidentally, the skiffs that you take to the dive sites were specially designed and the ladder is built in to the side of the skiff; as a result, the top step of the ladder is level with the skiff deck, making the ascent back into the dive skiff much easier than typical boats. This type of attention to detail was typical.

The diving itself was wonderful. The reefs were in fantastic shape, and incredibly fishy. We saw all of the usual suspects, including lots of manta rays, bumphead parrotfish, schools of jacks and fusiliers, and a wide variety of other beautiful reefy stuff. However, the visibility for the northern sites at the beginning of the trip was pretty mediocre (even worse than it typically is). As a result, the hosts decided to head south before the actual scheduled time; it was a good decision because the diving improved considerably. There are more liveaboards than ever in Raja Ampat, and the coordination between the boats is getting more complex than ever. With that said, there were no real problems getting to the best sites. I am going to check out some of the other routes for future trips to get a sense of the alternatives (e.g., Triton Bay, Banda crossing).

Here are a few pictures to give a sense of the diving.

46640072225_2c774e0d28_c.jpg
06_DSC_1397 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

32617126977_5b1f624411_c.jpg
07_DSC_2150 manta ray by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

47499403212_e8af45d706_c.jpg
03_DSC_1328 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

32633031837_64fc7a9f02_c.jpg
39_DSC_1354 coleman shrimp by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

46644114885_e4cddb3782_c.jpg
10_DSC_2062 fusiliers by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

32633032537_c085d9da2c_c.jpg
35_DSC_1966 bumphead parrotfish by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

46858442234_17a8d3247f_c.jpg
54_DSC_1913 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

The whole set can be found here: 2019 Gaia liveaboard Raja Ampat pics

Love that manta shot! Nice to see a good live-aboard review. Got any pictures from on the boat? Living quarters and such?

Richard.

Thanks very much. I did not take many pictures, but here are a few. Also, the website gives a few in the gallery, which is located here: Pictures of the Gaia liveaboard from website

Here is a shot of the lounge area and part of the dining area.
33755148228_332987334f_c.jpg
DSC01542 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

This photo shows our cabin (note the balcony).
47579617542_39f083a5a8_c.jpg
DSC01538 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

Here is the camera area which is located in the lounge.
46716842725_1f5b7437f8_c.jpg
DSC01543 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

Great pictures. Did the same trip on that boat last Nov-Dec. We started in the south, then went middle to north. Viz was better in the north and middle and OK in the south. Go figure. It was 11 nights. Ditto on the crew and the chef and kitchen staff were outstanding and catered to everyone's wishes.
Thanks for posting.

Rob

Wow. For a live-aboard room, that looks almost opulent to me! Of course, I'm a 'cheap seats' kind'a guy. And that camera room? Wow again.

How were the flights getting there & back? What was the longest continuous flight?

My longest to date has been around 4 hours. These 'around the world' itineraries scare me.

Richard.

Wow. For a live-aboard room, that looks almost opulent to me! Of course, I'm a 'cheap seats' kind'a guy. And that camera room? Wow again.

How were the flights getting there & back? What was the longest continuous flight?

My longest to date has been around 4 hours. These 'around the world' itineraries scare me.

Richard.

Yeah, I had more or less the same reaction to the boat. Opulent is definitely the word. It is a pain to get there. We flew from Baton Rouge to LAX. On a separate ticket (so we needed to retrieve luggage), we flew on Singapore Air to Singapore, and that flight was the longest flight (18 1/2 hours). From there, we flew to Manado, where we took a van to Lembeh (about an hour drive and a short boat ride to the resort NAD Lembeh). If we were to have gone straight to the liveaboard, we would have flown from Singapore to Jakarta, and from there to Sorong. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but worth it.

thats a liveaboard? I did a liveaboard on the Conception to the CA channel islands. It would likely be a lifeboat for this ship

I want to do that liveaboard one day

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I saw the boat.

With luck you'll remember the diving and forget the travel.

Exactly. On the flight to get there, it doesn't seem like it could possibly be worth the trouble. Then, when you enter the water, you remember why it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom