Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't hang it on my tank, I put it in my fin's foot pocket. Otherwise, we agree 100%.
That is one of my favorite places too.

My instructor was the one who told me to put the mask on the back of my head. The first reason was the distressed diver signal for boats if I had my mask on my forehead the captain would supposedly go into rescue mode and think I’m dying.

My instructor does tech so he does have a reg on his neck. So can’t put the mask there. We also did all shore dives for the OW so we did a lot of swimming on our back. Keeping the mask back there made life a lot easier and also kept the mask from getting all fogged up on the swim out.

Evidently it’s also helpful while entering rough surf. Getting smacked by a wave in the face with a mask on the front you risk the mask being knocked off where as supposedly it stays put on back even with a wave strike( I haven’t tried this is legit rough surf so no idea)

On my boat dives I wore it on the rear and no one seemed to blink an eye or care what I was doing with my mask.

Evidently it’s also helpful while entering rough surf. Getting smacked by a wave in the face with a mask on the front you risk the mask being knocked off where as supposedly it stays put on back even with a wave strike( I haven’t tried this is legit rough surf so no idea)
Someone already mentioned this upthread but if you're entering/exiting in rough surf, definitely keep your mask on and your reg in your mouth. If you lose your footing and your head goes underwater, that's not the time to be looking for stuff. Also, the mask is much more secure worn on your face than put on backwards on your head.

Honestly, I do mask on + reg in to all entries and exits regardless of whether they are easy or not.

lloydbridges_seahunt.jpg

And then there is this guy that never got the info about mask on forehead.

Wow... almost 80 posts in less than 24 hours on the hot-button topic of how to wear a mask.

Impressive. SB is on its "A" game today.

Wow... almost 80 posts in less than 24 hours on the hot-button topic of how to wear a mask.

Impressive. SB is on its "A" game today.

Without your meta post, it would have been one less...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom