Happy to always dive advanced within recreational limits, forever ? [Poll]

Advanced diver, do you have any plans to move eventually to "technical" diving ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I already do "technical" dives.

Votes: 90 26.8%
  • Yes, as soon as possible.

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • 50-50 chance.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Probably not, but time will tell.

Votes: 82 24.4%
  • No intent whatsoever.

Votes: 78 23.2%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But my hole is almost full! Really! Practically done.

And your "hole" is filled with gear that now needs service, overhaul, or replacement due to usage cycles, age, or engineered-obsolescence.

Last winter, my regulator collection grew because of usage cycles and perceived obsolescence of a few units.

Five of our eight tanks need hydro certs.

But I feel much safer now!

@Storker wrote and I completely agree with it:
"Besides, one of the great things about growing older is that I'm getting a lot better at not giving a flying crap about what other people might think about my priorities. That almost makes up for joint pains, decreased physical prowess and all that."

:cool:
markm
PS: Thank God I don't own a full panoply of tech gear like @Jim Lapenta! Service costs would kill me.

I am soooo glad that I read the last 20 or so posts. I was about to gear up to be ready to do some "technical" stuff. I have now changed my mind. I still may get the BP/W. If @Eric Sedletzky can get me an Aluminum Freedom Plate I'll be learning to dive all over again. :(:):(:) What the heck. 70 is the new 40 (I hope). I hope I can get it rigged before June! :)

I am curious to know how many advanced divers on SB are perfectly happy to always dive within recreational limits, and who have no plans whatsoever of moving on to more "technical" types of dives ?

Non-technical vs technical has naturally always been a moving target, and has evolved a lot in the previous decades.

So let's say we use these terms as they are currently understood by a majority of divers in 2018.

Please don't hesitate to post any comments to explain your vote.

I'm a bit undecided right now. After my wife's IPE the thought of having to blow through deco stops in order to stay alive is a little disconcerting.

On the other hand, the first 8 dives I did post OW certification were all deep air deco dives, although I didn't really understand it at the time.

I've also done some light deco on some wrecks, but at this stage don't plan on moving to anything that requires more than back-gas for deco.

I think scuba is like any other hobby or pastime. You can spend all the money you wish or spend very little

I'm glad this thread was reborn and I've enjoyed rereading it. My wife and I have been on the path to start Tec training for awhile now but last summer was shot in the foot by her ankle surgery that refused to heal. She just got her drysuit which now has to be returned for a larger boot size. The equipment cost is indeed large and the time line is long.

The balancing act for us is probably the same as for many others. We are in our 50s and before now the cost and other priorities in our life would have kept us from diving into Tec. Now I have the thoughts like Margarita Mike about bumping up against old age(hope he reconsiders). I imagine how far we will get before we start scaling back and meet ourselves coming back the other way and just doing simpler things. At 58 (she's 52) I'm hoping we will have many years to enjoy the new adventures but last years ankle surgery and long recovery makes me wonder if all the investment will be worth it in the end. Physical limitations that prevent diving can happen any time and age increases the likelihood.

I made the decision that it doesn't matter. We will do what we can do and go as far as we can go before something tells us that it is time to back off. I've made a hard line in the silt that we won't go into rebreathers (I have heard the arguments) but most everything else is still on the table and we are excited to see how deep into it we can go together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom