Deep Sea Supply status, May 2019 edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just can't understand why folks can't get over it and move on, the owner of the company has moved on but the fans haven't yet.

Because I have existing equipment from DSS and would like to maintain consistency for ease of service and ease of component interchange among divers. If he's announced that he's neither reopening nor selling the business, well, fine, then I'm going to have switch vendors.

Because I have existing equipment from DSS and would like to maintain consistency for ease of service and ease of component interchange among divers. If he's announced that he's neither reopening nor selling the business, well, fine, then I'm going to have switch vendors.
Sell it all now while the fan club is still active, you can probably replace everything for less money and comparable quality.

Sell it all now while the fan club is still active, you can probably replace everything for less money and comparable quality.

Yes, that's what I would do if I were him. Get rid of the DSS equipment and get new equipment from a real vendor that has presence and infrastructure to support its clients. Diverite is one and there are many others.

I was not aware of that.

upload_2019-5-9_11-13-56.png

I'm not sure what all this banter is over....

In all honesty, if necessary, a machine shop could lengthen the slots for the cam bands (assuming a wing could not be sourced to meet your desires), and then be usable across many brands....

I own DSS plates because they were the only long/x-long, and also the only 16# option out there for me (like that weight with a dry suit). Thankfully, a plate is basically a lifetime item. With that, I only have 1 or 2 DSS wings. I use various others with my DSS plates, and others (yes, i have too much gear). Daughter uses Deep6 wings on her DSS plate. Wife uses a DSS/DSS plate/wing. I use HOG and OxyCheq on my DSS SS plates, and IIRC, my Kydex may have a DSS wing. I believe the new VDH wing (which has longer cam band slots) works too, but I haven't put that combination together.

YMMV

Why don’t people take Tobin at his word? He stated in another thread that he was done with it and would not be re opening.
I think people were doing just that. It's just that most people got the word from Tobin when he said he would re-open. Apparently he texted one guy saying he'd changed his mind rather than telling everyone himself. His prerogative of course, but he caused the confusion himself.

I have a DSS plate with weight plates and a Torus doubles wing. I sw

In all honesty, if necessary, a machine shop could lengthen the slots for the cam bands (assuming a wing could not be sourced to meet your desires), and then be usable across many brands....

I own DSS plates because they were the only long/x-long, and also the only 16# option out there for me (like that weight with a dry suit). Thankfully, a plate is basically a lifetime item. With that, I only have 1 or 2 DSS wings. I use various others with my DSS plates, and others (yes, i have too much gear). Daughter uses Deep6 wings on her DSS plate. Wife uses a DSS/DSS plate/wing. I use HOG and OxyCheq on my DSS SS plates, and IIRC, my Kydex may have a DSS wing. I believe the new VDH wing (which has longer cam band slots) works too, but I haven't put that combination together.

YMMV

Same here. I have a DSS plate with the add on weight plates but I also have an AL Dive Rite plate. I have DSS, Dive Rite, Hollis and Halcyon wings. All are interchangeable. I can use any wing with any plate. That is the beautify of the BP/W. I did get rid of my DSS singles LCD wing as I prefer using an STA for single tank diving.

YMMV

And I do not use a STA on any rig I own.....

I am still waiting for the return of Jim Morrison.

Heck, I'm still waiting on Glenn Miller to surface.

I agree with @lexvil Ditch the DSS while the market is still hot, purchase wings that you can disassemble and/or replace the plastic fittings and bladder yourself (I bought an extra one with my VDH wing.) I've never encountered a DSS, but I can say the quality in a Oxycheq or VDH wing is very high. Between the two I would go with the VDH because of the customer support. Disclosure: Bryan is also friend.

Back
Top Bottom