Long hose slipping out of the webbing while diving / Dive light task loading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the 7ft hose. Extra length drove me bats. Wouldn’t stay under my belt. Went back to 5ft. Perfect length. I’m much happier.

Tucking behind the canister seems to have fixed the problem completely. Sometimes something so simple can help so much. Thanks all for the tips

Tucking behind the canister seems to have fixed the problem completely. Sometimes something so simple can help so much. Thanks all for the tips

The idea is to tuck the hose behind the canister from below the belt that way when you pull the hose over your head it has a tendency to fall free from the belt and canister...If you are tucking behind the canister from above the belt you may find that the loop of hose tucked can snag on the canister when you need to donate, and pulling just makes it worse.

-Z

Are you guys diving in caves or in overheads with restrictions?
Is there some specific reason you are using 7’ long hoses besides just trying to be DIR?
Why not try a 40” on a 70 degree swivel at the second stage and run it under your right arm? There’s no wrapping and problems with extra hose and it tucks nicely against your body, nothing sticking out to get snagged, and still gives the recipient room to function.
Unless you’re planning on filing out of a restriction single file while sharing air, a 7’ hose is somewhat pointless.

Why is a 7 foot hose pointless? It makes air sharing more comfortable and is the easiest way to donate in most environments. Please do explain why you think that your ideology is correct?

Get that DIR idea out of your head, it’s almost like a brand with a bad reputation. The dudes just trying to be a safer diver for *his* environment, not DIR.

they kept pressing me to change out some stuff in my gear setup to dive completely DIR
If they’re good divers, they won’t press you.

Also, if they’re very experienced and do all sorts of cave diving, why don’t you ask them instead of coming onto scubaboard?

...completely DIR-conform.(computer was high on left arm with light right ..

Doesnt sound too DIR here.

As to handling the 7ft hose without a canister light, the way to tug the hose is to have the hose goes down under the waist strap near the backplate then come back up in the front. The host make a larger loop under the strap. I don't remember I have hose slip out using this method.

and if anyone is pressing you to do anything you don't feel comfortable under water, you may want to consider another dive buddy.

Doesnt sound too DIR here.

As to handling the 7ft hose without a canister light, the way to tug the hose is to have the hose goes down under the waist strap near the backplate then come back up in the front. The host make a larger loop under the strap. I don't remember I have hose slip out using this method.

and if anyone is pressing you to do anything you don't feel comfortable under water, you may want to consider another dive buddy.
Exactly. Only the pretent to be DIR press others. And if he put computer on ledt arm, it doesn't sound like he got the real dir training.

I was putting my computer on the left arm before, not them... The things i wrote between brackets are things that are not considered 'correct' and I was doing wrong, not what they did or do.

Many people are misreading my initial post it seems.

Now to the why did I ask here and not them?

I did ask them, but it seems I was the only one who was having this problem. I have also only been diving very briefly with them so it's not as if my long hose slipping was exactly on the priority list of things to immediatly adress.

It was a really silly problem but I just wasn't tucking it properly (I was tucking too much in the middle of the belt, now I do it a bit more to the right and it's solved now.

If people are insisting/telling you do adopt a way of diving, the least they can do is give you their time to sort out the issues. It is always better to address them as they arise or the configuration change is not working and probably worse than what you were previously trained to do.

I thought the DIR model was to keep things simple. If so, then you are carrying an extra 3 feet of hose because it makes it easier if you have to share air. How often do you have to share air? I'm not carrying an extra 3 ft of hose to mitigate an event that might happen once every thousand dives, especially when the configuration Eric described is more than adequate to deal with it. If you are in caves or overhead where you might need to be single file that's different, but carrying it just because it makes doing something that might never happen a little easier seems to be the definition of "pointless".

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom