First BCD, want integrated weights, mostly for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is my next BC for travel - Save $50 on the Covert XT

I use the Zeagle Covert, which Leisure Pro sells for $274.95, and it is a great bcd for travel or regular use. It has what you want: Light weight, very packable, integrated weight pockets, comfortable, and it is durable. The XT has some nice upgrades which I would likely spring for if I was buying a new Covert, but it does increase the weight from 4 pounds to 5 pounds. However, the older version is still a great bcd at an excellent price point.

Just to make things even more confusing - how does all this work with regs, octo, and/or other hoses? I started under the assumption that everything more or less worked the same, but now I see most people with BP/W's talk about longer hoses and different setups.

I see your question got overlooked in the thread, so...

Reg, Octo, HP hose setups are totally interchangeable between jacket and BP/W. Sure, some jackets are pre-configured to store the Octo in a particular spot as determined by the mfg, but you're certainly welcome to place it wherever you can.

One if the major benefits (beyond trim and packing for travel) of BP/W, is that you get to decide what you want (or don't) and where you want to put it.... D-Rings are a perfect example... Often times jacket D-Ring locations work for some people, but not for others....

As far as long hose vs short hose setups, they can certainly work for both jacket and BP/W, as long as the bulk of the jacket doesn't "grab" at the long hose too much. I think you're just seeing that BP/W users tend to be more of the tinkering mindset; adjusting this, changing that, and getting things all dialed in. Likely, many(not all) jacket divers are of the mind set that "it is what it is, I will adapt to it."

:cheers:

I have never had a Cressi Travellite, but I did have a Cressi Air Travel which is the Back Inflate version of Cressi's travel BCDs. It was a good BCD except for one aspect. It was about 4lbs positively buoyant! That meant that the first 4lbs of weight that you added was simply to offset the buoyancy of the (empty) BCD! For me, that one thing was a deal breaker.

this is my next BC for travel - Save $50 on the Covert XT

I use the Zeagle Covert, which Leisure Pro sells for $274.95, and it is a great bcd for travel or regular use. It has what you want: Light weight, very packable, integrated weight pockets, comfortable, and it is durable. The XT has some nice upgrades which I would likely spring for if I was buying a new Covert, but it does increase the weight from 4 pounds to 5 pounds. However, the older version is still a great bcd at an excellent price point.

Totally and strongly agree re the Covert. I've had the original Covert since 2016 and it is bomb-proof--super light weight, easy to pack, solid and dependable, nothing broken or dinged at all after 100+ dives. Because it is so light and compact, there are trade-offs, specifically, it has no pockets and only 2 plastic D-rings. But these issues are manageable; the D-rings have been adequate for my use and you can insert 1.5 inch split rings in the 4 holes on the lower part of the BCD for additional attachment points. As to pockets, I purchased two Cressi tank weight pockets and attach them to the belt to hold additional items (macro lens, Nautilus, mirror, etc.). Here is link to those: https://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Tank-Strap-Weight-Pocket/dp/B00TX1GJUW I also love the very easy to use integrated weight pockets on the Covert.

The new Covert XT also seems awesome. I haven't seen it but here are main differences so far as I can tell:
--it is a little heavier--original Covert is about 3.9lbs, new XT is "5lbs with inflator" so not apples to apples
--it has a new "molle" attachment system
--it has weight pockets inside the weight pockets (I'm not sure I like that but don't see why you have to use the pockets inside the pockets)
--it comes with two tank strap trim pockets--again, I've never needed tank trim weights but good to have I suppose, and can always leave off
--it comes with two tank straps--the original only had one, and that wasn't optimal so I added one, so having 2 to begin with seems like a good upgrade.
Anyway, highly highly recommend the Covert!

You are not anymore.dense than average people. Almost everyone I know, including myself, do that. So don't worry about yourself.

I never meant to suggest I was superhuman. At my weight, a diver on the more buoyant side might need 40lbs of lead or more, which is above and beyond what the travel BC's can accommodate. All I meant is that if a BC can hold enough weight for most 200lbs men, I will be fine.

Now, looking at the Covert vs Covert XT - the XT has 36lbs dumpable and 20 lbs trim vs 16 dumpable in the Covert.

Can I wear the Covert without a weight belt? 16lbs probably does not actually fit 16lbs - it might only fit 10 lbs. Can I dive with 10lbs of weight and no belt? Maybe, but not wearing a wetsuit. Now if I could add a little bit of non dumpable weight somewhere, I might be able to get away with the Covert even though most 200lbs guys can't. But if I want to do a cold water dive, it won't happen without a belt.

Guys on the opposite end of the buoyancy spectrum might be in the same situation with the XT as I am with the Covert.

The Covert XT holds 16 + 10 = 26 lb. not 36 + 20 = 56

If you sink on exhale in a swim suit, there is no way you need any where near 40 lb. of lead for a tropics dive.

You need to do an accurate assessment of your weighting needs
Optimal Buoyancy Computer

The Covert XT holds 16 + 10 = 26 lb. not 36 + 20 = 56

Where are you getting your numbers? I got mine from the size chart on LP's site, although their spec lists "
Releasable; 16 lbs. (7.5 kg), Non-Releasable; 10 lbs. (4.54 kg) Rear Trim". Zeagle's own website doesn't seem to have any information. Their user manual just lists "pending".

For those who actually used the Covert, does 16 lbs mean "the manufacture was able to jam 16lbs in without ripping the fabric" or that it is practical to actual dive with 16 lbs?

For those who actually used the Covert, does 16 lbs mean "the manufacture was able to jam 16lbs in without ripping the fabric" or that it is practical to actual dive with 16 lbs?

Why do you care? You said you are "dense" and don't need much weight. You also said you are a tropical diver so you are not going to need much weight. You are overthinking this. You should be concerned about fit.

Also do not muddy the waters about the long hose vs short hose. That is a separate issue. You do not need a long hose unless you are diving in an overhead environment such as caves or ice diving. Look at the Dive Rite videos on YouTube to see various hose configurations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom