1mm or 3mm for Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lriemann

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.

Sorry if this question is "off" because it all depends on how cold tolerant I am...

I plan to head out to Asia at the end of the year.
My plans is to do a few months with lots of diving and snorkeling in Thailand, Indonesia and maybe Philippines.

In addition to my mask and booties and fins, I want to bring a wetsuit along.
I'm really having a hard time deciding between just bringing my very thin suit:
Products - Waterproof

Or getting a 3mm suit from Mares
Flexa 3.2.2

The thin suit will be lighter and I will need less weights.
But the 3mm is warmer and more protective, though heavier.

Which one would you recommend considering the places I will visit and he time of year?

Cheers!

There is not a straightforward answer to your question.
As you say, it does very much depend on your thermal tolerance, but it will also depend on how often you will be diving, and where exactly you plan to dive. Thailand, Philippines & Indonesia covers a vast area!!
You may get away with a 1mm suit if you’re not diving intensively and staying in warmer waters (ie high 20s C), but I would definitely go with the 3mm if you’re planning on 3-4 dives per day on consecutive days and think you may be hitting some cooler water.
Thailand generally stays warm year round (27-30C) but you may hit thermoclines in certain areas further off-shore, eg Similans.
I’m not too sure about Philippines, but some areas of Indo can get quite cold with upwellings of water around 20C, and some people prefer to take a minimum 5mm wetsuit in that case.

You really need to think about how much you’ll be diving and where exactly you’re planning on going.
I hope that helps?
Cheers,
Rob

Btw, some people we got to know in North Sulawesi last August were diving in skin suits similar to your Waterproof suit and were getting cold in waters of 27-28C.
In the tropics I usually dive in thermal shorts, a Lavacore vest and a long sleeve rash vest and I’ve generally been ok (27C and above). YMMV of course.

I use this website as a guide, Oceans & Seas of the World | Sea Temperatures and then also search/ask on SB for specific locations.

If it was me at that time of year in the Philippines or Indonesia, I would be using my 5mm. Even at 26dg on the 2nd dive+ I would freeze otherwise. I use my 3mm 27degc+.

I haven't dove during the winter in S.E. Asia, but have done 24-29 C in Komodo from a liveaboard, with up to five dives a day with only a dive skin. I did bring a 3mm and the only time I felt it would have been useful was when I was on the tender (small boat) after a night dive, when there wasn't the sun to warm me up. It really is about your cold water tolerance, as prior to going, I was told 5mm would be good to have.

For Thailand I usually wear a 1mm and I bring a second 1mm so if I feel chilled I add the second suit. I find two 1mm’s pack better than a 3mm and offer everything I need into the lower 70’s.

Everyones different obviously. On the same dive boats i've seen people in 5mm's shivering while others are in rashies and shorts.
In general though, in the areas you are talking, I've generally seen people transition from rashies and 3mm shorties in summer to 3mm and 5mm steamers in winter, particularly when doing repetitive dives.

Last year I dove in Thailand in December, temperature was between 27 and 28. I wore a Mako dive skin, which has a 1 mm neoprene plate on the front and back of the top, and just lycra elsewhere (which I love, btw). For most dives I was OK, but some dives when current was present I felt cold. Also, the night dive in current I was freezing. If I was going back, I'd bring a 3 mm. To be honest, I would spend good money on a good 3 mm, rather than having multiple options below 3 mm.

After that trip we went to Sri Lanka, where the water was between 28 and 29, no current. The dive skin was fine; really comfortable diving.

Recently I went to Komodo, where the water was about 27. I wore the skin under the 3 mm, which was perfect. Easier to take the wetsuit on and off, and gave me the option to dive either way.

Multi layer is my solution.
I have seen divers wearing dry suit in Philippines in winter! Water can get below 20C easily especially around Jan -Mar.
Multi day and multi dive will bring the body core temp down.
A long boat journey after diving is also not very present if there is insufficient shelter on the boat!

Back
Top Bottom