Powder coating lead weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!
Today in a local store I was told about a product for coating/coloring lead weights.
The product (sorry I don't remember the name) is a bag with a fine powder and is available in several colors.
To apply it you have to heat up the lead with a blowtorch or something "until the lead gets shiny" I was told and then cover the lead with the powder. The powder will stick on the lead. Then you need to heat it up again and deep it in water to cool it down. That's all - It sounds quite easy.
The question is, does this method offer any real protection from lead or is it just a matter of aesthetics (color)? Also would that be strong enough to withstand the usual abuse of the weight belts?
Thanks

Wow. Heating lead to just shy of it's melting point? What could possibly go wrong? So, what's the name on this 'stuff'???

Maybe/obviously I used the wrong expression. You don't need to heat the whole lead volume, just the surface.
I fount this video. Not sure it is the same product but looks the same idea :

Aesthetics, paint would serve the same purpose with less chance of lead fumes or burns. Personally, I like the look of well used weights. Or just get pretty colored coated weights.

Bob

How about multiple coat of plastic dip? To do power coat efficiently, the metal itself needs "stiff" enough so the support the power cost. lead seems to be too soft for this. The power coat will be too brittle to follow the soft lead shape changes

I remember someone (@tbone1004 ?) recommending the paint that road surveyors use. The color is florescent but it makes it easy for you or someone else to find a lost weight.

@ams511 not me, I try to avoid working with molten lead, it seems like a bad idea....

I meant painting the lead weights to seal them. I avoid molten lead also.

I meant painting the lead weights to seal them. I avoid molten lead also.

I may have said it was a good idea at one point, but I usually try to avoid lead at all cost when diving, but if I do use it, most of my lead is just plain open lead that I've picked up off of the bottom at various points in time. I don't use it enough to bother with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom