Reef House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KevinG58 That's curious to me. Is the party every day or just on Sunday?
Not every day but not just Sunday either. It's been a couple of years since my last trip to reef house and I think I had just two consecutive evenings without pounding music and CORNHOLE!

That said, if I were staying off property and was looking for a day of diving I'd love to go out with Davit and Choco again.

Reactions: gbf
I am really surprised, when we were there years ago it was very quiet and not a party place at all!
How many years ago? Roughly five years ago there was a 'disturbance in the force'. The new manager spruced the place up, the focus started shifting and over the intervening years the place has become a hangout for expats.

Now, some might enjoy a party almost every evening. I don't. Heck I don't particularly like that CCV went the direction they have with entertainment schedule they have now, but it's a larger resort, the party is not right outside your door, and night diving is a much more viable (and easier) option there.

Reactions: Doc
I don't understand how one night a week is such a deterrent. Yes, if it was every day, I can understand but what is the big deal about one night? But I guess that is just me. I enjoy some music, fun, laughter and a beach party, just not every night. And what time does this party shut down, anyway? Is it midnight or 2 a.m.?
Not just one night, pretty much every night.

I always have, and from the advert, you could easily see that they do, too.

Reef House Resort has always suffered from “economy of scale”. There is a “tipping point” of the minimum number of guests to retain overall profitability. In the early days of Roatan, RHR and the great number of similar sized resorts were workable, certainly better than letting a large house lay unused. No longer.

Due to increased fixed costs of operation, such a business can no longer exist serving 12 guests and maintaining huge line items like a dive operation. The future of similar dive resort micros is undeniable unless they successfully market a perceived uniqueness (that costs money and a suspension of disbelief), or that they switch, at least, to an of-premises dive op. Many new Roatan dive “resorts” are following this model.

But- there is a difference. The new dive resorts offering external contracted dive services (the best known is Subway), is that they have sufficient undeveloped land to later increase their room count by reinvestment building. RHR has reached its physical limit of expansion (from Day 2) Twenty plus years ago they missed a financial window of opportunity to buy out their neighbors, Combine an aging U.S. based, non present ownership with a decline in tourism (9/11), that was the irrevocable path that they selected. Someone will soon buy the property for a private home likely after it lies in disuse for a time...maybe that phase has begun~ what with the marketing of it as a once-a-week party spot- it's positive cash flow and you get live music. Depends on when they hit the "off" button- as it is a very tiny place.

This was one of my top five of Roatan, and why not? It was one of the first! The boats were always marginal, but the DM Davit made it work, even if held together by spit and string, even after sinking their huge investment of a cabin cruiser. The Manager Mike had a good hand, but due to unavoidable declining overall profitability, Stateside ownership decided that they could do without him. It was predictable.

RHR used to be a place that I would recommend with a very few cautions, now, more than a needing a couple of straight out warnings. I do not know about the loud music, but if you want to get a feel for Caribbean Dive resort travel of the early days, back when it had a totally different vibe that simply can not be explained- only sensed- get on down and do RHR before it joins the long lines of the disappeared.

Sleep when you’re back home, it’s highly overrated. Go now,
So, were the reports of your demise overstated?

No surprise. We spent a week there a few years ago and there was clearly not enough cash to make it viable long term. The DMs were great, but the dive boat needed an engine overhaul and the fumes were terrible. The food was college dorm food, and the room we had was shabby Motel 6.
My wife hated it.

We have been to Reef House 6 times. First 5 were great, last time a disaster. They had turned it into a party spot for x-pats and was very noisy well into the night. The manager had given way too much authority to a guy who had no business making any decisions, a real disaster.

Has anyone been there recently? We would love to go back, but our last time there was so bad that we are really concerned.

Thanks, BK

Was there for a little over a week with a small group in August 2018. The owner's son was living there and managing it. There was no band and only a few expats around. We were virtually the only divers there for the week. The price was the best around. Ours was usually the only dive boat in the area. The facilities were basic and in need of maintenance. The food was passable but nothing to rave about. There were very few medium size or larger fish -- no fishing regulations or restrictions so far as I could tell. The instructor engaged for part of the group -- Tanya-- got rave reviews, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom