Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To note, you can change how long on the surface counts before the Perdix will start another dive. I've extended it to 5 minutes iirc, as my quarry diving is sometimes shallow and it may put me on the "surface" even though we're just in very shallow water for a brief period of time before moving on to the next, deeper, destination for the dive.

As a general rule for me, if I plan to get in the water with my gear and then plan to get out of the water after doing X number of things, that's 1 dive for me. My dive in Chikin Ha cenote took us from the designated entrance, to the back where we surfaced, and then back to the entrance. That was one dive for me as my dive plan was to get in, go to the back and then come back to where we entered. I planned and executed one dive.

The short explanation of what I consider a log worthy dive:
If I get in the water and do what I planned to do for that "dive" in the water, then it was one dive. If I get out, check air supply, plan a new dive, and use the same tank if I deem it adequate for further diving, then that would be a separate dive. I I don't have to evaluate gas, change gear if appropriate, leave the water for a rest/interval, and/or plan what to do next, then it's the same dive.

The computer is counting nitrogen loading and unloading episodes and intervals to help you not get DCS. Most of the time it corresponds to what you might call a complete dive, but sometimes not. I suppose before computers were so easily accessible and divers used tables, then the number of times the tables could used to plan a dive would be closer to the actual number of dives.

To note, you can change how long on the surface counts before the Perdix will start another dive. I've extended it to 5 minutes iirc,

Thanks @jlcnuke Are you able to tell me how you changed this on your Perdix?

It’s what ever you want to count. If you are doing an electronic log and your computer delineates two dives as three, does it matter? No.

The dive log is a like your diary.you can keep it close and private or share it with the world.put what ever you want into it.10’ for 20 minutes sounds like a diveto me. If you need to show logged dives fora class and the instructor is getting nitpicks about your log, there are two potential reasons. First, you might not have the experience for what you want to do. Or, very likely, you should look for a better instructor.

There are people who will call getting their hair wet a dive. They need it for a program that they aren’t qualified to take. When I log dives I am including stuff that I am interested in, not what some one else’s interests.

Definition of a loggable dive

Any dive you choose to log.

I’m looking for a definitive “authoritative” answer to a question we’re debating. What constitutes a “dive”?

Any time you breathe compressed gas underwater.

As far a what an instructor wants to call a logged dive for a prerequisite, that is his decision. My theory is that if you are worried about getting your logged dives to meet a minimum requirement for a course, you are worrying about the wrong thing.

Bob

It can get complicated...

For years, I was doing shore dives at LBTS (near Ft. Lauderdale). I’d swim out to the second reef where the boats tie up. It’s about a 50 minute swim. I had a stressful job and loved the freedom and relaxation of going out there.

When I started doing tech and had setup a pair of double 80s, it occurred to me that if I’m going to swim all that way, I should take the doubles.

So I started swimming out to the 3rd reef where the water is 70 ft deep. Do a dive there, pop up, swim back to the Hall of Fame buoys, do another dive, come back to the second reef where the boats tie up, do another dive, then swim in to the first reef and burn whatever air I had left. Sometimes I wouldn’t surface until I got back to the second reef, sometimes not.

I would usually be in the water at least 4 hours sometimes as long as 6 hours. Then, when I took cave and started using a stage. In July and August when it was warm enough, I would take an 80cf stage. I was now up to three tanks. (You can get chilled even in the Summer in South Florida if you stay in the water long enough.)

I did this for most the 15 years I was in Miami. I have many hundreds of solo beach dives with doubles, and singles too of course.

After I got married, my wife would sit on the beach and read her book. I gave her a pair of binoculars and told her if she didn’t see my dive flag headed towards the beach by 2pm to call the Coast Guard. This was after arriving by 7:30am to get a parking spot. It was a challenge keeping enough quarters on-hand for the parking meter.

For a time, I wasn’t using a computer for those dives and counted them as one dive. I was diving a shorty, and
I didn’t want that thing on my wrist for 4+ hours. There was also the risk of loosing it.

Then, I got a new computer and wanted to get familiar with it, so I took it with me. When I got back, the computer said I had done 4 dives.

It got me thinking that I was cheating myself. I could go to Key Largo and do 2, 30 fsw reef dives in less time and get credit for 2 dives. So, I decided it was 1 dive per tank, doubles became 2 dives, and adding a stage made it 3. This regardless of how many times I did or didn’t surface. This seemed to be the most fair.

Couple fish stories:

Me and a buddy went to a ScubaBoard shark tooth dive event at Venice beach almost 10 years ago. We showed up before the sun came up, swam out over a mile where the teeth were with double 80s. We had 3 3/4 hours of bottom time and found about a dozen teeth each. By the time we got back to shore the lunch was wrapping up. I had agreed to bring the drinks, but the cooler was still in my truck and someone else had to go get drinks. I counted that as one dive, but later, using the new method, changed it to two.

I had the Coast Guard called on me three times over the years. Each time, circling in the helicopter. I’d give them the OK signal and the guy in the door would wave, and they would leave. Also, had a Marine Patrol boat question me about what I was doing. They seemed puzzled, shrugged, and left. Also, had more than one dive boat try to ‘rescue’ me. They were always good about it.

Then, I got my wife certified. It kinda backfired when she started saying that I shouldn’t be swimming out so far by myself. I had to do some fast talking, something about those being the rules for beginners.

Over the years, I have taken a handful of people out there, they only go once. I did have one buddy John that hung in for several years, but he got older, said it was too far and started going by kayak. I kayaked a few times with him, but didn’t find it as enjoyable. So I was back to solo...

Now, my wife and I go back every Summer. She loves to relax on the beach and I get to relive some great diving...

You won't find one.
I agree. Where does PADI say it's official if it's 15' for 20 minutes? Is that for training dives? I admit to being slack on this knowledge, but need to know exactly where it is written. OOPS, sorry--that question has been answered. A vast majority of my dives meet that criteria anyway. A very few don't, but I counted them anyway as I figure if you put all the stuff on and submerge, it's gotta count (for me anyway). One example was in Panama when the DM & I went down 20' for 5 minutes and decided not to have the group follow due to 1 foot viz. I counted that. I never counted any pool dives, though some do and some make exceptions if it's one of those really deep pools. I would count that cave thing in Missouri of I had any desire to do it.
When you're looking at dive computer data, I would just use common sense. If I popped my head out of water for one minute I would not consider that a surface interval. I may if I was out or on the surface for 5 minutes....? I guess in that situation you'd just have to go back to a paper log or make some kind of notation on the DC spreadsheet.
We will get everyone's opinion on what should be called an official dive. I still don't know how to make that popcorn guy imogie.

HEY CT----10' for 20 minutes IS a Connecticut shore dive, as we both know...… BTW, I have dived Merwin Point a number of times as you suggested 2 years ago. This is a great example. I logged them....

I don't think it really matters.
But i'd struggle to tell myself it was more than one dive if I didn't get out of the water.

I don't think it really matters.
But i'd struggle to tell myself it was more than one dive if I didn't get out of the water.
I can think of only 2 times I counted it as 2 dives when I just had a short SI while on the surface. One of the 2 was last Tuesday. Read about it on my thread "Nuffa That". I wasn't gunna go up & down those rocks twice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom