Fluid film for drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used fluid film on many things but I don't think I would use it on a suit zipper. It leaves a light film after application and it collects dirt, dust and sand. It never really dries and I feel it would create a slippery mess all over. For zippers, I'm thinking we would want a consistency more like wax. When there is nothing else around, I've used chapstick on water-resistant/proof zippers.

I know Fluid Film as a substance people in the north use on cars to minimize the rusting.

Given the sensitivity and cost of a drysuit zipper I would not be one to try new stuff on it. Stick with known proven drysuit zipper lube.

I'm not talking about putting great amounts of lube on, just a thin film and wipe off excess. In my experience regular wax also attracts dirt and was looking for something that might offer better lubricating properties than wax. The zip slip stuff from othree is not what i had in mind. Tried that earlier, but that is basically paraffin wax solved in white spirit, and I don't like the idea of petroleum based stuff on the zipper. Fluid film is supposed to be somewhat natural.

Well, the MSDS is next to worthless but this is what's in it:

Refined petroleum oil, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 50-90%
Calcium petroleum sulfonate 61789-86-4 1-10%

It's slightly flammable and supposed to be non-toxic, although not biodegradable. Oh, and it won't give you cancer in California. It's entirely possible it's just paraffin wax in some mineral spirits with some rust preventative mixed in for good measure. Basic dinosaur squeezings scraped from the bottom of the vac column before sent to the catalytic cracker.

I'd stick with paraffin wax.

I'm not talking about putting great amounts of lube on, just a thin film and wipe off excess. In my experience regular wax also attracts dirt and was looking for something that might offer better lubricating properties than wax. The zip slip stuff from othree is not what i had in mind. Tried that earlier, but that is basically paraffin wax solved in white spirit, and I don't like the idea of petroleum based stuff on the zipper. Fluid film is supposed to be somewhat natural.

Well, the MSDS is next to worthless but this is what's in it:

Refined petroleum oil, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 50-90%
Calcium petroleum sulfonate 61789-86-4 1-10%

It's slightly flammable and supposed to be non-toxic, although not biodegradable. Oh, and it won't give you cancer in California. It's entirely possible it's just paraffin wax in some mineral spirits with some rust preventative mixed in for good measure. Basic dinosaur squeezings scraped from the bottom of the vac column before sent to the catalytic cracker.

I'd stick with paraffin wax.
Does that answer your question?

Back
Top Bottom