Great White Shark, Wreckfish Rodeo and Chunky Soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Our friend Margaret Webb tells us she hears the Jaws theme when she's making a safety stop. Yesterday we had a good reminder of that. The surface water at Hermosa Beach Artificial was dark, green and chunky. Below that, we enjoyed twenty feet of visibility on the bottom. The visibility allowed us to see at least thirteen California Wreckfish, aka Giant Sea Bass, aka Black Sea Bass, aka GSB, BSB, GBSB, EIEIO, and George. They are not in the bass family, so Dr. Bill Bushing is trying to get us all to refer to them as California Wreckfish, or Stereolepis gigas if you prefer. I'll get back the gentle giants, but first, let's talk about the other fish we saw.

After hanging for several minutes between ten and twenty feet, Merry and I surfaced. A few minutes later I said the magic word...shark. A juvenile Great White was patrolling the area, following a large school of anchovies we found as we arrived. At one point, he swam alongside our boat, close enough for Merry to get a few seconds of cell phone video.

Report, photos and video at Great White Shark, Wreckfish Rodeo and Chunky Soup

Ha, and next I'll go after the white sea bass (white sea croaker), zebra perch (zebra chub) and a host of others.Tee hee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom