Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't say that.

I said, not on my list. I don't want to see a great white. Sure glad those that did see one report it as a calm encounter.

I don't want to see a great white, calm or otherwise. I don't want to dive where a great white encounter could become a standard thing.

I don't know how I would feel seeing them out in the open, but when I was protected by a cage it was pretty epic.

@dirtfarmer

I would imagine you won't encounter many GWS in your barn yard

However. the California F&G completed a study in which the discovered the cute little California Sea Otter was one of the favorite foods of the GWS.

IF you ever decide to dive in NorCal avoid the Sea Otters..

SDM

Looks like something I'd be glad to have seen, once back on the boat all in one piece. While in the water would be another story. I've never seen a great white in person; I've wondered sometimes if any have seen me.

At least the one in the photo looks stocky, hopefully well-fed. I really don't want to see one that looks hungry, like it hasn't eaten in awhile...

Richard.

Looks like something I'd be glad to have seen, once back on the boat all in one piece. While in the water would be another story. I've never seen a great white in person; I've wondered sometimes if any have seen me.

At least the one in the photo looks stocky, hopefully well-fed. I really don't want to see one that looks hungry, like it hasn't eaten in awhile...

Richard.

I think they are open to eating pretty much any time. It's probably not much as them only being hungry, it's probably about do you look like or smell like something they would like to eat.
If I saw one in open water I would probably be super excited until it swam off then I'd probably be a bit freaked out until I was back on the boat.

I have a theory - he's one of ours and while taking a tour of the north west to see why a pair of southern right whales were 2000kms out of place at Ningaloo his maps.me connection dropped out so he's a lil bit lost....please point him in the right direction and send him home.

Or - doing a house swap vacation with one of your mola mola who's been spotted down here....

While a cool surprise for divers up there it's a bit curious as to why we're having "your drunk fish, go home" episodes lately. The GWS tend to love low viz colder water - I've seen three in a decade and they all did exactly nothing other than what nurse sharks do....swam past and ignored me. I do know of others weren't exactly that well behaved though.

Damnit! Was diving there last week. Kinda jealous about this great unexpected encounter!

@Mike Veitch
stated
"I wouldn't classify them as a hazard... "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dive long enough and often enough you will consider them as a hazard to diving

My three dear departed friends
Al Sneppersnoff--FWS bit his leg -fatal
Randy Fry- GWS bit his head off - never found -fatal
Debbie Franzman- GWS bit her hip -fatal.

Ans there are many more

SDM
Feel the same way. A hazard to divers.

Back
Top Bottom