And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's still the case... I'm heading to the Hideaway at the end of the week.
Is John back? I kept hearing that the place was closed down and he was laying low somewhere.

One of the articles I read a former USCG inspector said that the Conception was "a compliant death trap."

And yet this inspector approved the vessel for further service. Why has he not been sued yet? He admitted he saw problems and did nothing to stop it.

He is the witch, burn him!
-Witch hunt is now over.

And yet this inspector approved the vessel for further service. Why has he not been sued yet? He admitted he saw problems and did nothing to stop it.

He is the witch, burn him!
-Witch hunt is now over.

I don't think he was the actual inspector that approved it, simply someone that looked at the deck plans and came to that conclusion that it met the law but it was a poor design. And considering that every person in the berthing area died, he is right.

It was a real question. In the U.K. a large number of divers are price sensitive and will spend a lot of time to save £50, some of course will spend a lot to save £50 :). I have no idea about the demographic of CA divers. Would doubling the cost to make it work really be an issue? Would they all fly to the Caribbean instead? Comparing Scapa boats which take 12 divers, they are only slightly cheaper than a week in the Red Sea but none the less are booked up a year or more ahead.

There is a lot of comment on here basically saying that modifications to enhance safety would increase costs and destroy the business. I am questioning that.
I think Eric S added to that. Of course we are price sensitive, having already high real estate costs and taxes. Maybe thebpoint is “what” exactly to modify. Not being a mariner by any stretch but I do seemed to have learned that there are tons of fiberglass boats of similar designs out there. So first it’s not just dive boats. Second, the regulations have to change before owners can “modify away”.

I think Eric S added to that. Of course we are price sensitive, having already high real estate costs and taxes. Maybe thebpoint is “what” exactly to modify. Not being a mariner by any stretch but I do seemed to have learned that there are tons of fiberglass boats of similar designs out there. So first it’s not just dive boats. Second, the regulations have to change before owners can “modify away”.
I had a friend, owns a fairly major travel agency (major as in 4 full time agents, booth at the big trade shows), led a trip on a Mexican Liveaboard last week. There were no smoke detectors in the cabins. He complained and the boat provided a smoke detector with a dead battery. He complained some more, he got a new battery and the excuse that “batteries go bad in the salt air”.

Change will be slow coming, unless the customers demand it.

Where?
Please do tell.

what you dont believe me? you live here. the deals are out there. I stayed at the place on highway its off the beach right before going into monterey. im not lying. I dont lie. look for deals you find them easy. ill google it up later

I had a friend, owns a fairly major travel agency (major as in 4 full time agents, booth at the big trade shows), led a trip on a Mexican Liveaboard last week. There were no smoke detectors in the cabins. He complained and the boat provided a smoke detector with a dead battery. He complained some more, he got a new battery and the excuse that “batteries go bad in the salt air”.

Change will be slow coming, unless the customers demand it.
I agree but ensuring that a smoke detector has a working battery is on a different level than replacing walls in fiberglass boats with steel or similar solutions thrown around here.

I don't think he was the actual inspector that approved it, simply someone that looked at the deck plans and came to that conclusion that it met the law but it was a poor design. And considering that every person in the berthing area died, he is right.

He did not certify the Conception, however he did do this, by his assertion, for similar vessels as well as other vessels. But it didn't seem to bother him enough to say or do anything about it until this disaster. My point is that it is easy to find fault and get on tv after the fact by making inflammatory statements.

Bob

You can stand in front of a judge in court just as easy as you can stand in front of the news TV camera. Watch what you say.

He did not certify the Conception, however he did do this, by his assertion, for similar vessels as well as other vessels. But it didn't seem to bother him enough to say or do anything about it until this disaster. My point is that it is easy to find fault and get on tv after the fact by making inflammatory statements.

And what happens if he denies them their certificate? They go to court saying "We meet the code," and probably win with costs awarded, and maybe even a monetary award for loss of use during the court fight. After the fact he probably gets reassigned, to somewhere cold and boring until the USCG can force him out.

If he approves it, he is protected by sovereign immunity as he was just doing his job as it was defined by the USCG. The USCG is the one sticking their butt out.

Back
Top Bottom