Trip Report Amelie liveaboard Egypt, may 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean by this? that filling up a used tank will increase the Nitrox %? so that the afternoon tanks will have a higher concentration?
I suspect he means they will have a higher percentage of air...

I suspect he means they will have a higher percentage of air...
I thought he meant if a tank started with air (21%) and they topped it repeatedly with 32% (over several dives), the pO2 would increase, eventually reaching 32%.

Perhaps I missed it, but from which port did you depart? Hurghada or Port Ghalib?

We departed from Hurghada.

Reason on Nitrox is that they often reuse (air) tanks so the initial fills might be low and get higher as the days go on.

I couldn't say, but I didn't really notice a pattern where the percentage would build up over time, with every fill it was a little surprise how much the percentage would be 🙂 But is the difference between say 24 and 31 so noticable? We dove with regulair air a couple of days before hopping on the liveaboard, and to us the difference was hardly there (altough maybe over more time it builds up I guess?).

While percentage might not matter that much for the actual dive, that much fluctuation would make me question their procedures.

Very much so.

Were they doing partial pressure mixing not membrane? It doesn't make sense.

Great report and awesome video. My wife and I just signed up for a northern route liveaboard on MY Turquoise with David Haas Photography (SB Member also). It will be our first LOB trip, and first time to Egypt.

You can definitely tell the difference between my Canon G7XII and your more robust camera system. I have an A6600 that I have been tempted to put in a housing but not sure how I would manage the additional gear. I have a large backpack now that holds all my camera gear, wet lenses, strobes, etc. I would probably have to check pelican cases if I made the move to a larger sensor camera. The results definitely speak for themselves. Great job on the video, I enjoyed it immensely.

Great report and awesome video. My wife and I just signed up for a northern route liveaboard on MY Turquoise with David Haas Photography (SB Member also). It will be our first LOB trip, and first time to Egypt.

You can definitely tell the difference between my Canon G7XII and your more robust camera system. I have an A6600 that I have been tempted to put in a housing but not sure how I would manage the additional gear. I have a large backpack now that holds all my camera gear, wet lenses, strobes, etc. I would probably have to check pelican cases if I made the move to a larger sensor camera. The results definitely speak for themselves. Great job on the video, I enjoyed it immensely.

Thank u so much! Packing and bringing everything sure is a hassle, I'm lucky I have 2 backpacks at my disposal as my girlfriend carries one also 🙂
I don't know if you are into photo or video, but I find I almost don't need additional lighting with the bigger sensor, so I save a ton of room and weight by bringing only small lights. But still overall it's a lot to carry, but yeah 🤷‍♂️😁

Your trip sounds good, when will you go?

We are going June of 2025. Not the cheapest liveaboard but I wanted to do the photography oriented trip, and David has been a big help to me in learning underwater photography. Plus my wife is not keen on sharing bathrooms so a bit more amenities was a necessity. There are still cabins available if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom