Poll - Will this partial closure of marine park affect your future plans to visit Cozumel?

Will this partial closure of the marine park affect your future plans to visit Cozumel?

• I'm not going back until it re-opens. Those were my favorite sites.

Votes: 37 19.8%
  • I may still go but maybe not as often.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • I'll go anyway because there are still plenty of great sites.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it shakes out.

Votes: 41 21.9%
  • I don't know. I just don't know. Decisions are hard.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other, of course.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a guys trip planned for the end of October and decided not to go. Planned to come down in January, extended our Panama visit over New year's instead.
Favorite reefs in Coz are Punta Sure, Palancar caves, Columbia deep then shallows, Tormentos. So closure of 4 of my top 5 coz reefs is definitely a deterrent.

I would feel different if the closure was justified, or would make a difference to the health of the reefs. I more would Even stand behind it if changes were proposed that affected the behaviour of the more egregious polluters, but this feel good bandaid on a gunshot wound has left a bad taste in my mouth. The dive industry is the smallest contributor financialy, so the cruise ships and resorts and the beach clubs get a pass. I feel for the dive ops, the locals who love and work on the water, the people who feed their families off of this business. They have been stuck with the shortest end of the straw.

Too many other places to visit, we won't be back until this is cleared up. We will miss the friends we have made on the island, and the great food, and the diving there. But it gives us the opportunity to make new friends, have new adventures, see me things. We average 5 weeks of trips a year and unfortunately it looks like none of those will be spent in Cozumel in the foreseeable future.

Thanks! Wish you were going to be there so we could finally meet!

Official breaking news: reefs will open again on December 15

This is all of the information i have at this point. There is another meeting on Friday.

Just canceled group trip in April for 16 divers. Too much uncertainty and reports that reefs are in terrible shape. Will wait for late 2020 and see how things work out.

A co-worker just cancelled a planned first trip over Thanksgiving and will be going back to Roatan instead.

I took a long time to make up my mind. Not happy about the closure and don't think it will do a bit of good.....But I still think the ease of getting there along with the cost of lodging and food still makes it a very good diving destination. Wonder how they came up with the time right before Christmas to open the reefs back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom