Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They already shortened it from 3 months to a month and a half, so doubt it.

I think the point is that you can't trust what the council will do when they make abrupt decisions and changes in decisions. I hope the recent decision to re-open in December is sincere and not just to calm people down and get them to book trips for high season only to reverse the decision in early December. After all, everyone knows that two months closure isn't going to cure or regenerate the reef. Coral doesn't grow like grass.

I think the point is that you can't trust what the council will do when they make abrupt decisions and changes in decisions. I hope the recent decision to re-open in December is sincere and not just to calm people down and get them to book trips for high season only to reverse the decision in early December. After all, everyone knows that two months closure isn't going to cure or regenerate the reef. Coral doesn't grow like grass.
You’re such a Debbie Downer :wink:.....I’ll let you know for certain on the 15th.

Soooooo frustrating this is becoming and looking more like a giant incompetent waste of time. To reopen it on Dec 15 will give them 5 weeks to do what ????? I presume enough tourists started to cancel their reservations over the high season. If closing it in the first place made any sense , why reopen it ??? What's next..... announce another closing once the high paying season is over !!! They would save more face by just reversing the entire closing decision completely and come up with a legitimate plan of action that makes scientific sense.

Soooooo frustrating this is becoming and looking more like a giant incompetent waste of time. To reopen it on Dec 15 will give them 5 weeks to do what ????? I presume enough tourists started to cancel their reservations over the high season. If closing it in the first place made any sense , why reopen it ??? What's next..... announce another closing once the high paying season is over !!! They would save more face by just reversing the entire closing decision completely and come up with a legitimate plan of action that makes scientific sense.

I 100% agree. Not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful they reverse the decision by Nov 9th when we will be there.

I was told this closure was going to probably going to be a year - anyone know the truth of that statement?

Don't know where that came from - it was NEVER anywhere published or spoken that it would be a year. It was originally 90 days but has now been shortened to about 75ish days

I am certain they don't believe the reef will restore itself in 2 months - that is not the point. The point is to give it a break and to get some procedures in place - there are some things falling together behind the scenes.

I am certain they don't believe the reef will restore itself in 2 months - that is not the point. The point is to give it a break and to get some procedures in place - there are some things falling together behind the scenes.
Oh what could you possibly know that a bunch of Americans on the internet haven't already figured out? :drunks:

Back
Top Bottom