Bag drag question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saving $100 for 6 hours of meandering around, I'll pass :) Plus getting everything in sync to make my flight out without sitting at the airport for 4 hours. It was pretty slick flying into COZ and driving 5 minutes into town (maybe 10). Almost forgot, it was HOT when we went. Walking all around and waiting in the heat. LOL.
I haven't seen anyone around here recommending a full round trip bag drag to save $100. We're talking about $150+ per ticket or $300+ round trip..

And many of us can get cheap round trip non-stop flights to CUN, but every available CZM flight involves layovers.

From DFW there are non stop flights to CZM but they are not cheap. Right now they range from $593 to $960 for basic economy RT. Non stop to CUN is half the price.
Another option is to fly into CZM and out of CUN. Get a mid afternoon or evening flight out and you can slowly make your way to the airport.

Saving $100 for 6 hours of meandering around, I'll pass :) Plus getting everything in sync to make my flight out without sitting at the airport for 4 hours. It was pretty slick flying into COZ and driving 5 minutes into town (maybe 10). Almost forgot, it was HOT when we went. Walking all around and waiting in the heat. LOL.

Your bias shows in how you minimize the positives and exaggerate the negatives.

Somehow, getting on a boat at point A and getting off at point B after cruising along enjoying the sea breeze and ocean views and having a few beers is a big torturous hassle when it is to complete a segment of travel. Meanwhile people will gladly pay 10x as much to get on a boat at point A and get back off at point A after cruising in circles enjoying the sea breeze and ocean views and having a few beers when it's called an "excursion".

Your bias shows in how you minimize the positives and exaggerate the negatives.

Somehow, getting on a boat at point A and getting off at point B after cruising along enjoying the sea breeze and ocean views and having a few beers is a big torturous hassle when it is to complete a segment of travel. Meanwhile people will gladly pay 10x as much to get on a boat at point A and get back off at point A after cruising in circles enjoying the sea breeze and ocean views and having a few beers when it's called an "excursion".
I try to time my return ferry trip with getting a frozen margarita to go from the Thirsty Cougar.

Everyone has his/her own concerns and tradeoffs. Mine are such that neither flying into CUN to get to CZM nor schlepping with all my equipaje from the CZM airport out to the street to avoid having to take the shuttle are worth the trouble. DSFDF and YMMV.

[QUOTE="Streydog, post: 8781508, member: 446922"
Another option is to fly into CZM and out of CUN. Get a mid afternoon or evening flight out and you can slowly make your way to the airport.[/QUOTE]

If I had to do it I would do it the other way round; when it's time to go home I don't want to add 3 hours to the trip. Yes, I know, coming back direct could add an airport layover, but such time with only my carry-on stuff to deal with isn't that bad.

I haven't priced it myself recently, but when I have, such open jawed travel was more expensive than round trip travel to either destination.

If I had to do it I would do it the other way round; when it's time to go home I don't want to add 3 hours to the trip. Yes, I know, coming back direct could add an airport layover, but such time with only my carry-on stuff to deal with isn't that bad.

I haven't priced it myself recently, but when I have, such open jawed travel was more expensive than round trip travel to either destination.

Agreed. The departure segment of the bag drag is more time consuming simply because you have to allow extra time to be sure of not missing a flight. You usually have no time pressure on arrival. Sometimes open-jawed tickets are not much more expensive and we've done it a few times on split trips where we stayed 5 nights in Coz and 3 in PDC when we have done mainland stuff like cenotes and pyramids.

Everyone has his/her own concerns and tradeoffs. Mine are such that neither flying into CUN to get to CZM nor schlepping with all my equipaje from the CZM airport out to the street to avoid having to take the shuttle are worth the trouble. DSFDF and YMMV.
Well, at least in CUN you get luggage carts. Not allowed in CZM, and I often can't find a porter. I still don't care for the extra time, shuttle, and ferry added. From Lubbock or Amarillo, I never find savings of $100, much less my threshold around $200.

That's my view, but then I have to connect with either.

I thought open-jaws were calculated with ½ of one plus ½ of the other. I'll have to watch and see.

The departure segment of the bag drag is more time consuming simply because you have to allow extra time to be sure of not missing a flight.
Yep, exactly.

we've done it a few times on split trips where we stayed 5 nights in Coz and 3 in PDC when we have done mainland stuff like cenotes and pyramids.
Yep, done that.

I just don't plan on going thru CUN either way, but plans go awry at times, I miss my connection, then am rerouted that way. A follow up email to United customer services complaining once got me a $150 voucher. American just gave me 10K miles.

it all depends on your flight schedules i guess. and you def save more than $100 each. for some people travelling, even a couple hundred extra dollars means a lot.

on one trip, we figured by the time we landed in cancun, waited around for the flight to coz, and flew over, we got to coz sooner by taking the bus to playa and then the ferry to coz. plus we saved a bunch of $.

so we figured, why would i want to sit around cancun airport waiting when we could be on our way and enjoying the ride. i hate sitting around in an airport btw. just sayin.

return flight from cun to czm is about 350 canadian for next week on expedia. as reefhound said, it is only about 50 per person to do the bag drag and return. so my wife and i would save about 600 bucks.

i am not sure if there are, but it would be worth checking if there are baggage limits on the flights over to coz as well. if you have to pay extra for gear then the flight cost is even higher.

if you are prone to being sea sick that may be a good reason to fly over. when it is rough, the ferry ride can be a bad experience for some people.

oh how i wish i had the burden of having to make this choice right now. haha

it all depends on your flight schedules i guess. and you def save more than $100 each. for some people travelling, even a couple hundred extra dollars means a lot.

I always think about the alternative use of the money. Would you do the bag drag in exchange for a couple of free extra dive trips? That's about what it comes to.

Baggage on the puddle jumper is definitely more restricted. I don't recall exactly but something like 40# checked and only small under-the-seat carryon. I think $5/kilo overage charge and I've heard they are strict on it.

Seems if you get seasick on the ferry you'll have the same issue all week on dive boats. Take meds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom