Help with camera selection please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm definitely in the middle of amateur hour here. Always had an interest in photography, but have never really pursued it to any real fashion.

I'm considering the Sony a6400, a7iii or the canon EOSR.
I'm willing to invest some money and have a realistic expectation of costs for housing, strobes etc. I don't necessarily want Discovery channel HD quality, but I would like to be able to have some nice canvas pics printed and hung throughout my house.

I would like portability and weather resistance as main features. Would like to have something that when not in housing's is practical to carry on vacations.
Other interests include galaxy photography as well as bird/duck

Well the EOS-R is an outstanding camera, no doubt. Full frame, mirrorless. There are lots of options for housings, strobes, etc but if you're starting from nothing, you'll have around $10,000 in it by the time you're ready to go. It could be more if you end up buying a couple of L-series lenses, a flat port as well as a dome port, etc.

-Charles

Although I dive with a Sony A6000, my "main" camera is a Sony A7iii. Short version, I love it.

I switched from shooting Canon DSLRs for years to Sony last year, and I do not regret it in any way. The A7iii will serve you well above the surface. I have shot everything from Fighters flying through the "Jedi Transition" in excess of 400kts, to Milky Way shots in Canyonlands NP, and it has never let me down. At one point, Sony had a reputation for not having a good selection of lenses. That is no longer the situation. I have a Tokina 20mm f2 for my Milky Way images and the Sony 200-600mm f5.6-6.3G for photographing Birds of Prey and aviation. For day to day use, I have a 24-105 f4 G.

Keep in mind though that whatever camera you ultimately choose, if you do plan to take it underwater, you will need a housing and lens ports for it and these will often cost significantly more than the camera and lens did. Check out places like the Backscatter or Mozaik websites to ensure that your camera and lens are supported with housings and ports.

Let me get up on a small soapbox for a minute. Keep in mind that accidents do happen. No matter how meticulous you are in your prep, your maintenance and the care you take of your o-rings, something you never saw coming can cause a leak. With that in mind, always know that any dive with your camera could potentially be the one that destroys it. For that reason, I will never (again) dive with a camera that I can not afford to put at risk. That is why I dive with an A6000 but use an A7iii as my primary camera. Things like a vacuum valve go a very long way to confirming that you have a good seal, but nothing is perfect. OK, I am done on my soapbox.

Depending on your budget and on your focus, you might want to consider a smaller camera such as a Canon G7Xiii or a Sony RX100 that have a (roughly) 20MP sensor and can shoot 4K video. The advantage of these are that you will get good (maybe not great, but good) image quality in a small package and will not require additional lens ports (although as you get better, you may want to add a close-up diopter and/or a Wet Wide Angle lens). With this type of camera, not only does your packing become easier since you will likely be able to pack the camera and housing in your carry-on, but you will be pushing a smaller housing through the water column. (The size and weight of a housing for a Full Frame DSLR or Mirrorless camera such as the EOS-R or the A7iii is quite significant.) If you get a high quality "compact camera & housing for underwater, then you may still be able to afford something like an A7iii or an EOS-R for your above the surface work.

FWIW, I won't recommend one brand over the other. Both Sony and Canon make excellent cameras at just about any given price point.

If I was in your shoes, I think that what I would do (and keep in mind that this is just my opinion and not hard fact) is to get the Canon G7Xiii + FantaSea housing (with vacuum valve) package ($1249.95 - which is less than most housings for the A7iii would be) to dive with and then an A7iii (or EOS-R) as my primary camera.

I just purchased a Sony a6400 plus 16-50 mm kit lens ($998), and Seafrogs housing with standard flat port plus 4" dome ($440), and vacuum pump system ($120), so $1560 total. I shoot on land with a Canon 5D, but my new rig including the camera costs less than 5D housing, so wasn't going to take that option. I'm not diving with the camera until next week, so can't comment on how it will perform underwater, but so far on land it does a pretty nice job.

I shoot Nikon Z7. Previously i would have deferred to Canon for video at a pinch, but with the new ability to shoot 4K raw with the Z7...its a game changer...

Either of the Sony cameras you mentioned are great choices. The new a6600 that is just being released should be on your list, housings will be forthcoming soon.

Buy a good quality housing and most importantly, lighting system. Lighting is almost more important to consider.
We have several ready to go systems and several housings on our site.

For some good background on your purchases you might want to look at our Handbooks:
Choosing Cameras & Housings for Underwater Photography
Choosing an Underwater Lighting System

And a new blog article comparing pros and cons of our housing offerings:
The Pros and Cons of Popular Underwater Housings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom