Compact or APSC? Any suggestions are welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update : wandering on line I came across a girl with the Sony RX100 VII who takes exactly the pictures I would like to take. Accompanied by a Wet lens Nauticam and sea&sea strobes.
What can I say, after seeing her photos I am more and more convinced that the RX100 VII may be right for me.

I sent her few messages and in terms of limitations she mentioned ISO (above 1000 the noise becomes annoying) and the width of the wide angle.

If you have time, check out on Facebook or Instagram the profile : theunderwaterpanda and tell me what you think

Don't rule out a RX100va vs a RX100 VII, i'd personally rather have a rx100va over the VII (the va offers a bit more versatility than the VII). I'd also check out deals folks have posted on used gear, because you can stretch your dollar quite a bit more on used equipment vs new.

I am now keeping my eyes open on the used market for a Nauticam/ Isotta housing for an RX100 VII or a6400/6500. Let’s see
If you're not shooting macro, there is very little reason not to take an RX100 V(A) over an RX100 VII; the main difference between them is the lens (24-70mm on VA, 24-200mm on VII). The long end on the VII is useful for macro, but it requires a more complex housing with interchangeable ports to use, and since you're shooting wide, you don't need the hassle.

Just had a weird thought - Sony ZV-1 Mark II is an RX100-like camera with an 18-50mm-equivalent lens - considerably wider than RX100's 24mm on the wide end. If you could put it behind a small dome, it could be an interesting solution for wrecks. There are no housings currently on the market (there are for the earlier ZV-1 model, but that one comes with the same 24-70mm lens as RX100), but it supports USB tethering, and while Easydive don't list it on their compatibility list, I don't see a reason why a Leo3 Wi wouldn't support it, given a suitable mounting plate. Bonus points (for you) for it being an Italian manufacturer; you could get in contact with them and inquire. Yes, it's an expensive housing, but on the other hand, you could put pretty much any camera you want in there later on, aside from the dual-grip monsters like R3 and Z9.

Just had a weird thought - Sony ZV-1 Mark II is an RX100-like camera with an 18-50mm-equivalent lens - considerably wider than RX100's 24mm on the wide end. If you could put it behind a small dome, it could be an interesting solution for wrecks. There are no housings currently on the market (there are for the earlier ZV-1 model, but that one comes with the same 24-70mm lens as RX100), but it supports USB tethering, and while Easydive don't list it on their compatibility list, I don't see a reason why a Leo3 Wi wouldn't support it, given a suitable mounting plate. Bonus points (for you) for it being an Italian manufacturer; you could get in contact with them and inquire. Yes, it's an expensive housing, but on the other hand, you could put pretty much any camera you want in there later on, aside from the dual-grip monsters like R3 and Z9.
This is all very nice and I understand the convenience of an easy dive.
However, we are talking about a 3K€ Housing with the size of a Nauticam housing for a Full Frame.
I look for a used compact camera with a used housing instead. Budget and size on a whole other level.

If you're not shooting macro, there is very little reason not to take an RX100 V(A) over an RX100 VII; the main difference between them is the lens (24-70mm on VA, 24-200mm on VII). The long end on the VII is useful for macro, but it requires a more complex housing with interchangeable ports to use, and since you're shooting wide, you don't need the hassle.

I check the specs and you are right, the VA better fit what I have in mind

Correct me if I am wrong but if I understood correctly with compact cameras you can change the underwater lenses while diving, with aps-c and reflexes you must make a decision before entering water, the reason I stay with compact. Still with my Sony RX 100 Mk II and Nauticam housing + strobes.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I understood correctly with compact cameras you can change the underwater lenses while diving, with aps-c and reflexes you must make a decision before entering water, the reason I stay with compact. Still with my Sony RX 100 Mk II and Nauticam housing + strobes.
Most mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras have options to mount wet lenses over a zoom or prime. M43 system has 14-42mm, Sony APS-C has 16-50mm, Sony FF has 28-60mm, Fuji X has 15-45mm, Nikon Z has 16-50mm on crop and I think 24-50mm on FF, etc.

Back
Top Bottom