Beginner Regulator Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi- if there is already a thread that covers this, please point me in the right direction.

I am curious as to how complicated it is to work on my own regulators. What tools are needed, that sort of thing.

As examples of regulators I have:
Sherwood Blizzard
Aqualung LX and ABS
Apeks TX100/TX50

Are the manuals available for download? Purchase? Are there videos?

Thanks!

Bob

Before getting too far into the world of DIY regulator rebuilds, I would highly suggest you get a copy of Pete Wolfinger's Regulator Savvy or Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair. Both of these books are excellent sources of information on the basics about how regulators work and the processes for performing maintenance. After reading one of these two books you will have a much better understanding of what lies ahead of you to continue down the DIY pathway. Alternatively, they may tell you that it's just easier to drop them off at your LDS for service. Other than these books you might want to check out the DIY sub thread on scubaboard as there is a wealth of information in there as well. Good luck!

I had seen references to those books, and was wondering if there is a good (cheap) source for them.

And, you may be correct that the extra time, effort, and hassle isn't worth the DIY aspect. I am trying to learn more so I can have a basis for deciding.

Thanks!

I had seen references to those books, and was wondering if there is a good (cheap) source for them.

If the cost of the books seems high, I hope you already have a workshop full of tools. Got a torque wrench with a scale in inch-pounds, for example? Then there are reg-specific things like hook spanners and a reg vise. A good IP gauge. It adds up. You'll probably want an ultrasonic cleaner, too. In addition to buying the books, I took a course and spent a lot of money on tools, but I had few to begin with. My point is simply that the cost of those two books was the least of it for many of us.

You might look at the various manuals available through vintage double hose (free downloads) to see some examples of what's involved. However, don't do the work without a good grasp of how it functions. Whether that knowledge comes from the previously mentioned books or not... I don't own those books, but have a decent grasp of physics and mechanisms in general and through study of the maintenance publications and liberal reference to the DIY sub forums am quite confident in my work on my gear.

I was intimidated by the tool requirements at first, but I`ve made a lot of my own and they work fine. As far as an ultrasonic is concerned you can get one on E-bay that works OK in the $60 range also I got an in. lbs. torque wrench for app,$10. Lots of different stuff but it`s fun and if you can do it properly, very rewarding.I`ve had dive shops do work for me before and been overcharged and had inferior work done. If I do it myself I have a very vested interest in doing it correctly. Manuals and step by steps are available all over the internet, plus the people here are a fantastic rescorce of information and parts. Good luck!

If the cost of the books seems high, I hope you already have a workshop full of tools. Got a torque wrench with a scale in inch-pounds, for example? Then there are reg-specific things like hook spanners and a reg vise. A good IP gauge. It adds up. You'll probably want an ultrasonic cleaner, too. In addition to buying the books, I took a course and spent a lot of money on tools, but I had few to begin with. My point is simply that the cost of those two books was the least of it for many of us.

This.

You can google and find most of those manuals. I know the Apeks are out there because I recently downloaded them myself. Apeks manuals are pretty good, but be aware that most of the manuals are written for an audience that basically knows what they are doing already.

You'll need a good source of clean dry air, usually a cylinder with another first stage on it. An inline adjuster tool is very handy. You can get a magnahelic, or not, depending on how anal you are about second stage cracking pressure.

There's some up front cost for sure. It isn't hard, but I'd highly recommend that you work through it with someone that knows what they are doing before launching into it. High pressure air is to be taken seriously and, of course, it's life support equipment that you're messing with.

You'll need two (free) used CO2 cylinders if you want to hold the 1st stage body in a vice.

Vance Harlow rules. That's the book for you.

You can also build a wood box. Zeagle sells them, but you can make one easily. They are super handy for holding the first stage without having to use CO2 cartridges or the official factory tool to screw into a port.

Back
Top Bottom