Any recommendations for downgrade from Lumix GH5??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I currently have Lumix GH5 and I'm thinking about downgrading my camera. It's around 25lbs for all my camera equipments and it's kind of overwhelming for me. I also have the Gopro 7.
I love taking macro shots and videos. I love the videos I took with Lumix GH5 and would love it if there is a camera that's lighter than this that can take similar quality photos and videos.. I feel like mirrorless is too much for me with it's weight :(
Should I just downgrade to Olympus TG? How's Sony RX series with macro and videos?

I would recommend the new Sony RX100 Mark VI it still has a port system but nowhere near the weight of the GH5 and takes great video. The long 200mm lens is great for macro too
Avoid other midrange versions up to V and the various panasonic as the lens is too short
The TG series have a tiny sensor it will work ok for stills for video you will be disappointed
I also want to add the GH5 and G9 are really bit MFT almost like DSLR
The olympus range or other panasonic model that do not have a shell housing are much smaller and lighter and you can use the lenses you have invested in
Look for Panasonic GX9 or Olympus OMD-EM10 for more compact rigs

Hi Nicole,
An alternative to downgrade may be restrict the equipment taken along for travelling to a minimum (a compact fully equipped with wet lenses etc... is also a lot to carry with you).
In case you post what, exactly, you are taking with you, one could look what a minimalist selection would be (Macro and Video (Macro-Video?) as you say?).

Wolfgang

It's all compromises the latest RX100 require different ports on a compact housing to switch between macro and wide if that's an important quality for you. A list of your equipment could help with some recommendations like do you take both strobes and lights? Backscatter have a good post on best compacts for 2019, the contenders in order being being LX10, LX100 II, RX100VI and G7XII. Maybe read the pros and cons of each of these to see what might be the best fit and there is the new G7X III which is not reviewed much yet.

I don't agree with backscatter saying the LX10 is the best based on white balance. That may be true for video but the Sony cameras work very well with URPRO/Ikelite filters and white balance alone works to max 10 meters anyway
For me focal length is more important so I would say canon or sony but canon compacts tend to run out of battery very fast
If you want to get to a smaller size from a GH5 that has a clam style housing similar to a cropped sensor DSLR there are other options like the GX7 Mark II housing or the GX9 from Panasonic or the Olympus OMD EM10III that are much more compact and actually once you get a zoom lens you can dive with a single port and use wet lenses. The GX85 is substantially cheaper than a new advanced compact and other people have ended up getting there as a video compact rig

Hi Nicole,
An alternative to downgrade may be restrict the equipment taken along for travelling to a minimum (a compact fully equipped with wet lenses etc... is also a lot to carry with you).
In case you post what, exactly, you are taking with you, one could look what a minimalist selection would be (Macro and Video (Macro-Video?) as you say?).

Wolfgang

I usually take the body, housing, 60mm macro lens, 14-42mm lens, macro port, wide angle port, 4 lightweight arms (2 each side) and 2 sea&sea strobes. I usually carry the camera backpack with my housing in the carry-on.

Doesn't sound like a lot of equipment, which wide angle port? I normally put the arms and clamps in my checked luggage and carry the rest. I have a similar kit and this is my packing method, using a small (domestic size) size carry-on roller:
IMG_2283.JPG

I took the innards from my camera backpack and lined the bag with closed cell foam using velcro stick on to hold it in place. In here is the EM-1 II housing, camer, 12-40 lens spare batteries, fibre optic cables, 2 x INON Z-240 and Zen 170mm dome. Weighs just on 10 kg or 22lb but you only need to lift it when you put it in the overhead. Dimensions on opening is about 370 x 450mm (~15 x 18").

You would save some weight with a compact with a smaller housing, but you'd still have a tray and strobes and the wide & macro wet lenses would weigh similar to your current lenses

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom