New Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. Unless you have bottom of the line regs, it's unlikely you will get better ones, assuming yours are serviced and quite possibly downgrading instead. New does not mean better. What are your current regs?

We both have a Mares Voltrex. We also recently switched to Nitrox. I was thinking after 25 years, that we should update our hoses and maybe also the regulators. I guess I just assume the reg might be wearing out. We have had them serviced a few years, but not every year. What do you think?

I would have the regs checked/serviced, inspect the hoses for wear/softness and it they are good, keep diving them. Nitrox at rec levels is not really a concern, high O2 yea but not the 30-36 % normally used. Regs really do not "wear out". Soft rubber parts wear and need replacing but the actual metal parts if taken care of are good for a couple of lifetimes of diving. Those are replaced during any normal service. Many of us who dive vintage are diving regs made 50-60 years ago, the rubber parts have been replace but the main metal parts are still going strong. Very little real improvement in regs has been made in first stages since the 60s' and not that much if any in the seconds since the 70's. Cheaper plastic parts, shinny do dads and questionable features are about it.
Bottom line, if you want new regs great but as long as they are serviced properly, you will not be gaining much if anything by buying new......except maybe cheaper plastic in the second stage.

I would have the regs checked/serviced, inspect the hoses for wear/softness and it they are good, keep diving them. Nitrox at rec levels is not really a concern, high O2 yea but not the 30-36 % normally used. Regs really do not "wear out". Soft rubber parts wear and need replacing but the actual metal parts if taken care of are good for a couple of lifetimes of diving. Those are replaced during any normal service. Many of us who dive vintage are diving regs made 50-60 years ago, the rubber parts have been replace but the main metal parts are still going strong. Very little real improvement in regs has been made in first stages since the 60s' and not that much if any in the seconds since the 70's. Cheaper plastic parts, shinny do dads and questionable features are about it.
Bottom line, if you want new regs great but as long as they are serviced properly, you will not be gaining much if anything by buying new......except maybe cheaper plastic in the second stage.
Thank you! Okay - I will do that - keep them and have them serviced! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom