uwatec Smart tek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DayWalker

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anymore about this computer? It is in their 05 catalog but not on their website. I cannot find any information anywhere on the web about it.

I believe that the smart tek is the newest wrist computer offered by Scubapro, If not the following may be incorrect. The major advantage compared to the air z nitrox complete is that you have the option of using the hose less signal sender attached to a maximum of three tanks. With this option you receive tank data from three completely separate sources. With could be great if you dive with multiple cylinders and gasses.

I’m buying one in January, if you remind me Ill let you know how it does, I'm sure DA aquamaster will let you know whats up, he seems to really know the Scuba pro product line.

Regards,

JUMBO

Wish I could add more but I can't.

It sounded pretty tempting when I saw it in the catalog. Initially the three gas sending units sounded neat, but with a little more thought, the idea of having a transmitter hanging off the deco bottle regs does not sound all that appealing and it is not going to do any more for you than proper pre dive planning would anyway. And I have never had a lot of luck with hoseless air integrated computer transmitters.

So if you discount the hoseless air integration feature you have gas switchable dive computer capable of figuring your deco obligation with your back gas and two deco mixes or deco and travel mixes. That is a big step forward for a mainstream scuba manufacturer, but I'd really like to know a lot more about the deco model before I'd use it for serious technical diving.

And for the $1300 price, you could get an He computer.

I'm not sure what my employee discount/test-it-to-see-if-we-want-to-stock-it price would be but for now, I'll stick with my bottom timer, DPlan and slate.

It's on the site just click the new products link.

It's really cool. When I did my trimix class in Bonaire last month, my Instructor was diving a test version of it. Even though we were on Trimix and it is a Nitrox computer it was still pretty accurate on the deco tracking.

I'll definitly have one soon.

Dave

DayWalker:
It is in their 05 catalog but not on their website.
The new computers are on Subapro's website with all their new products. Probably the same info as in the catalog by the look of it, though I haven't seen that one yet.

Nothing ground braking, really, the little Oceanic Atmos 1.0 allows three nitrox mixes with wireless transmitters, the Vytec allows three gases, the Cochrans and DeltaP Techs more than that. DiveRite offers multiple mixes, between 2 and 7 including He.

I agree with DA Aquamaster, you might want to hold off until you know the algorithm, and at that price you could get a He calculating computer.

The Hydrospace Explorer does up to 10 mixes fO2 or pO2 and gives you the choice of either real RGBM or a variety of Bühlmann based algorithms.

Delta P's VR3 (same $ neighborhood) also does up to 10 mixes, and can be ordered with or without He, OC with SC and CCR optional. The less expensive VR2 still does 4 nitrox mixes.
DeltaP is slated to release the VPM-B deco software next spring, and their computers can be updated as needed.

Don't know much about the Cochrans, but they come with multiple nitrox or nitrox/he mixes.

Wow it seems as though there are alot of options out there. Thanks for the Imput all. That goes to show you how dry behind the ears this newbie is. For those of you that are seasoned Tech divers, do you really need a computer with 10 mixes? I want something that I can grow with (Cave, deep diver 200+). I am not trying to break any deep dive records or on a mission to find Leviathon :wink: . But I Thought it would be cool to have transmitters to check any bottles that I would have. DA you brought up a concern that I had about transmitters. What types of problems have you had with them and how reliable are they in general. I was told by my instructor, who happens to be a somewhat well respected Tech diver from what I can gather (he was one of the instructors in that Tech Bootcamp article in Rodale's a couple of months ago), about transmissions being crossed between divers (which was my concern) he stated that it is unlikely due to different frequencies used on each set up, and the likely hood of my diving with someone with the same Freq was some outlandish lottery winning odds. I will be attending a Tech Diving presentation In NC next month, to get a better understanding of this level of diving and how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go.

SP has done a good thing with the transmittrer frequency issue as some crossing of signals could occur otherwise in low viz with divers close together. One of the problems I encountered though with earlier hoseless air integrated computers was getting any signal at all in some situations so a backup SPg was needed for the backgas anyway. Sometimes the solution for this is mounting the transmitter on a 6 or 7" Hp hose where it then sticks out from your regulator - less than ideal. But I am assuming that transmitter technology has been improving, so this may no longer be an issue.

For cave diving where several tanks may be staged at what amounts to fixed depths on a fixed entry/exit route over the course of several dives in preparation for a final push, the capability for 10 different gases may actually be useful. In open water however using a back gas and 1 or 2 deco gases is more the norm.

The difference is that in open water it is normally a very good idea to keep your gas with you rather than to leave it on the anchor or ascent line as there is no guarentee you will be able to get back to the ascent line. So the number of tanks you can take with you is limited by the practical reality of carrying them all through the entire dive. (with the possible exception of wreck penetration where you may choose to tie off the deco tanks at the entry/exit point of the wreck.) Backgas and a couple of slung 80's or 40's is pretty much a full load.

No way would I trust a transmitter (or multiple transmitters...even worse) on anything but a shallow reef dive.

I have dove the Air Z nitrox complete for nearly two years. I haven’t had a problem with receiving a signal, through out all conditions. But I did send it back once, the wrist unit just stopped working while in storage, Scuba pro sent me a new one right away.

The new oceanic atom crapped out on me on dive number 14, I know first product lines can be flawed sometimes and I hope they fix it.

Regards,

JUMBO

My LDS owner received one for an evaluation period. We did some decompression dives and he used it for monitoring backgas and one deco mix. They only sent him two transmitters. It worked fine. Personally, putting a transmitter on a deco bottle doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but using a three gas computer does. It's nice, but the transmitters get expensive.

For those still afraid of transmitters, get over it. Mine hasn't failed in 2 years. If it does, I'll call the dive and revert to tables. What's the big deal? The mean time between failures is no different than your SPG's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom