Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On removing the reg has risks, in short:
- In isolation, yes, though it should be negligible or minimal.
- In the big picture, a brief removal allows a system with advantages overall.

From my post on youtube, (and in case that whole thing just goes away again):

"""
(Alec),
You're comparing to and advocating TAKE of the backup, which few agencies advocate, except BSAC. So visibility is central in YOUR scenario. Most agencies advocate DONATE, with take as only a fallback. Visibility helps the fallback if reg location varies. In PRIMARY donate the location of both regulators is know, so extra visibility adds little, but can be added. But you knew all this already. In comparing options it is important to represent the factors involved accurately, otherwise we are doing a disservice to divers trying to learn and make informed decisions for themselves.

On the donor being without a reg for a few seconds: regulator remove/replace/recovery/exchange are skills to be mastered to a "reasonably comfortable, fluid, and repeatable manner" before progressing past OW pool sessions, according to Padi. Given that, it is surprising that you, with decades of experience, would say this in response to twoknife below: "Removing my primary from my mouth is risky at any time. At the moment my buddy runs out of air, sorry, it's not going to happen if I can help it!"

If removing a reg is so risky, why do we expect OW divers to master it before they progress out of the pool. Or perform a simple underwater step of ensuring their backup works properly. Or encourage them to regularly do a practice air share while hanging out at a safety top. It seems the standards expect that swapping between regulators is an expected part of normal diving and not a thing to be avoided out of apprehension of a high risk. It seems as if you are overstating this risk. Or are focused on students that were not trained properly, to simply open water standards.

You mention easy to deploy as a criteria. This is an area where primary donate excels. Deploying my primary is very fast, it is in my mouth. No fumbling involved in actively getting a reg to the OOA diver. Switching to my backup is very fast, it is always right under my chin. No detachment involved, I just move it up to my mouth. It should take less than 5 seconds to put it in. More likely 2 seconds after I reach for it. But I just had air, the other diver did not.

Primary donate also has the advantage of making the diver a bit more tidy, thus less risk of snagging their reg hose on part of the landscape. It is called the 'streamlined openwater setup' with a 40 inch primary hose. The primary is tucked under the arm, the backup is short and held under the neck. All out of the way and tidy.

Divers should evaluate how comfortable they are with the different options. With the proper facts and explanations. Not inaccurate ones and hyperbole.
"""

Other than a few divers who were certified in the recent past and were taught primary donate, most of the divers commenting here have been certified for a few years or more. That means we were taught either buddy breathing or secondary donate. The fact that we are in favor of primary donate should tell you that we have experience with both methods and choose the one that makes the most sense. Having a reg out of your mouth for a couple of seconds should not put you in danger. All OW students have been taught regulator recovery and have had their reg out of their mouths plenty of times during class. Hopefully, they learned enough so that if their reg is ever kicked from their mouth or an OOA diver rips it away, they will calmly replace it with their second reg.

Insisting that removing your primary to donate it places you in danger is a fallacy. Donating a long hose allows you to get air to the victim quickly and to get another reg that hasn't been dragging behind you or stuffed in a pocket into your mouth in as little as one second. Before belittling those of us with a differing opinion, you should really try both techniques or watch a few videos to see how easy it really is.

Other than a few divers who were certified in the recent past and were taught primary donate, most of the divers commenting here have been certified for a few years or more. That means we were taught either buddy breathing or secondary donate. The fact that we are in favor of primary donate should tell you that we have experience with both methods and choose the one that makes the most sense. Having a reg out of your mouth for a couple of seconds should not put you in danger. All OW students have been taught regulator recovery and have had their reg out of their mouths plenty of times during class. Hopefully, they learned enough so that if their reg is ever kicked from their mouth or an OOA diver rips it away, they will calmly replace it with their second reg.

Insisting that removing your primary to donate it places you in danger is a fallacy. Donating a long hose allows you to get air to the victim quickly and to get another reg that hasn't been dragging behind you or stuffed in a pocket into your mouth in as little as one second. Before belittling those of us with a differing opinion, you should really try both techniques or watch a few videos to see how easy it really is.
Before deliberately and repeatedly misstating what others have said, you should really see how easy it is to address the argument made, rather than the straw man argument you're making up to rebut. Who said anything about it being inherently and automatically dangerous to take a regulator out of your mouth? No one. Indeed, as for me I said that one of my favorite parts of OW training involved having regs out of our mouths for some time. Who said that in a standard rec setting it is safer to leave it in than not to? A bunch of people. And they're correct, and super divers piling on them is just sad.

Who said anything about it being inherently and automatically dangerous to take a regulator out of your mouth? No one.
Perhaps you should read more of Alec's replies. He said it was risky several times.

Perhaps you should read more of Alec's replies. He said it was risky several times.
You could be right, but my interpretation of what he was saying involved a point about relative risk, not absolute danger. If it's safer to leave it in your mouth than not to, then the flip side of that is that it's riskier to take it out than to leave it in. I'm not sure that's the same as saying it's actually and in all cases dangerous to take it out. It sounds to me more like he's saying why do something that involves some level of measurable risk, when you can just as easily do it in a way that is less risky? And, again, I don't see how that makes him a pariah. Go to Cozumel, get on a cattle boat with rental gear, and ask yourself what the default approach is that that group of divers, in real life at that time and place, should be taking. It's not to go with the yellow? I want you to please answer that question, because to me it's the crux thing that makes a difference in how I see things.

I've been to Cozumel. The main thing I noticed there were so many divers dragging a loose octo behind them. I prefer to use a yellow long hose so there is no confusion as to what to grab. Also, Alec is not a pariah. He's very experienced, knowledgable and friendly. He also has a negative attitude about the long hose. I think he believes it's risky to remove your reg for a second, but it's OK for students to have their out of their mouth for several seconds.

Wow, 28 pages...

I guess this is essentially a virtual pillory for Mr. Pierce (although I think he may be getting the last laugh).

I think it’s amusing we get worked up over his comments on long hoses. Given the focus of his instructional background (OW) and passion for the popularization of recreational diving, I don’t think we should have expected anything different than what we got.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Pierce despite his occasional flaws and exaggeration. He’s done more for SCUBA diving than any zealotry I may have for equipment configuration techniques ever will.

I try to respect my elders, especially productive ones, even if I disagree with them.

He's not teaching a class. He's saying that long hose is good for the situations in which it was designed and intended to be used. He's also saying that on your typical shallow reef dive it makes no sense for normal divers to take an increased risk rather than a lessened risk, by removing a regulator from their mouth when they don't have to. He did a poor job of explaining how long hoses work, but then you folks carping at him for that have done a poor job of actually explaining how his basic point is incorrect (you just say he doesn't understand tec diving, which still doesn't address why donating an octopus is evil). Shoredivr, how about you expand your criticisms and get after him for standing up vertically as he does a video on what happens to tanks when you drop them, or on different types of regulator assemblies, or on vintage SCUBA movie posters, or on dynamic versus static O rings, or on what happens if a hose blows? Do you think maybe that would be a nutty criticism? Yes, it would. Kind of like getting after him for standing up in this video. His videos have helped more divers in a day than you'll help in your entire lifetime. Yeah, I'll cheer him on instead of poking at him for standing in his dive shop instead of crawling around on the floor (which is what that post actually said). Is that not kosher in your clubhouse?
So PaulW, what’s your take on OW divers using a Scubapro AirII? To use it, the donating diver has to give the OOA diver the working regulator in their mouth. Then, the donating diver, who now has no reg in their mouth, switches to their AirII.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom