Hoses Keep Breaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingHeadFirst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

Hope you’re doing well, and thanks for all the guidance you’ve provided. Here’s my issue - I compiled an atomic set on eBay from a few diff vendors, got it serviced so it’s good to go, and had all the hoses replaced, but pretty much EVERY time I go, one of the hoses springs a leak (I mean there are perforations up and down the hose so bubbles spring out).

At first I thought maybe I bought a lemon hose (or two) but it happens ALL the time, often with my HP hose. I then thought that maybe since I’m renting steel tanks that are filled to 3500 the pressure is what’s doing it, but these hoses are rated for PSI much higher than that.

Could I have a broken first stage? I’m going thru so many hoses at this point it’s getting really expensive!

Some reading material discussed here...........

HP hoses have perforations in the outside cover to prevent the outside cover from blowing out with a leak in the pressure part. When the hose is dry there is a small amount of air between the cover and the hose so as soon as the hose is pressurized small bubbles appear along the surface of the hose. It is quite normal as long as the bubbles dissipate and don't continue.

HP hoses have perforations in the outside cover to prevent the outside cover from blowing out with a leak in the pressure part. When the hose is dry there is a small amount of air between the cover and the hose so as soon as the hose is pressurized small bubbles appear along the surface of the hose. It is quite normal as long as the bubbles dissipate and don't continue.
Thanks! Issue is these leaks definitely continue my last several dives have been shallow enough that I just dealt with it and surfaced earlier than I would normally, but they’re definitely leaking. I can hear it, it continues even when I’m out of the water and I’m using up air much more quickly than I normally do.

I could understand how these could happen with used/old hoses (or if I replaced these broken ones with other used ones), but these hoses are new!

Where are you getting hoses? I an guessing the shop you are using has a subpar batch, possibly an off brand. Not all hoses are created equal.

I have always had good experience with Trident's rubber hoses. XS Scuba also distributes hoses and they are a solid company too.

How are you storing your reg? Hoses should be loosely coiled with no tight bends.

Where are you getting hoses? I an guessing the shop you are using has a subpar batch, possibly an off brand. Not all hoses are created equal.

I have always had good experience with Trident's rubber hoses. XS Scuba also distributes hoses and they are a solid company too.

How are you storing your reg? Hoses should be loosely coiled with no tight bends.
My LDS. First time I got them from the place that serviced my regs but those broke too eventually.

I keep them loosely coiled in one of those soft lunchboxes (it’s more of a bag- has total give so can be misshapen by my regs)

My LDS. First time I got them from the place that serviced my regs but those broke too eventually.

I keep them loosely coiled in one of those soft lunchboxes (it’s more of a bag- has total give so can be misshapen by my regs)
How long do you mean by eventually?

Did you discuss with the shop? If they brushed you off, find a new shop.

Sounds like the shop had a bunch of old but never used hoses that they couldn't get rid of.

You might want to check your IP to make sure you are not overpressurizing the hoses. Although, that would most likely cause your second stages to free flow if it was excessively high.

I get my hoses from piranha.com as they have a date stamp on the fitting.

How long do you mean by eventually?

Did you discuss with the shop? If they brushed you off, find a new shop.
Maybe like…three-four months? Still wayyy too short.

First time it happened I bought new hoses at my LDS, and since then they’ve just been replacing them. FWIW, the hoses “look” new, but I’m not sure when they were made.

Sounds like the shop had a bunch of old but never used hoses that they couldn't get rid of.

You might want to check your IP to make sure you are not overpressurizing the hoses. Although, that would most likely cause your second stages to free flow if it was execisively high.

I get my hoses from piranha.com as they have a date stamp on the fitting.
Randy also has some super-flexible rubber hoses if that's your thing.

sounds like you got a bum batch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom