Short hose routing options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on following 2 options for the left tank short hose routing:

1/ Second stage with hose inlet on right side connected to a hose looped around the neck.
2/ Second stage with hose inlet on left side connected to a very short hose going directly from first stage to the mouth/necklace, no loop around the neck.

On the right tank, I will have a typicall 7ft long hose routing.

The advantage I see with option 2 is that I only have the long hose looped around my neck. Advantage of option 1 is that both my regulator are the same, with control knobs on the same side.

Am I missing other reasons why option 1 is the 'typical' setup for sidemounting? The direct routing of option 2 seems compelling no?

Thanks!

What you are missing is the standard configuration training - hogarthian standards are used to prevent confusion in emergencies.

If you start changing configurations in a technical set up - no one but you knows what’s going on- so a buddy or rescuer isn’t confused, people in technical diving keep standard configurations…

For years I used your option 1, more for familiarity and less hassles as I switched back and forth between backmount and sidemount.
I currently use your option 2 now that I have a couple sets of regs. Once you practice with it the control knobs become second nature. Your breathing from the right, use the right hand to adjust. Breathing from the left, use the left.

I have a short neck and don’t want two hoses around it. Just too much. Short hose comes from left tank directly to necklaced reg. There’s a 90 degree adapter on reg. Works well for me. YMMV. Routing directly to mouth is one option.

What you are missing is the standard configuration training - hogarthian standards are used to prevent confusion in emergencies.

If you start changing configurations in a technical set up - no one but you knows what’s going on- so a buddy or rescuer isn’t confused, people in technical diving keep standard configurations…
Hogarthian sidemount setup. Where are these standards written?

Hi,

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on following 2 options for the left tank short hose routing:

1/ Second stage with hose inlet on right side connected to a hose looped around the neck.
2/ Second stage with hose inlet on left side connected to a very short hose going directly from first stage to the mouth/necklace, no loop around the neck.

On the right tank, I will have a typicall 7ft long hose routing.

The advantage I see with option 2 is that I only have the long hose looped around my neck. Advantage of option 1 is that both my regulator are the same, with control knobs on the same side.

Am I missing other reasons why option 1 is the 'typical' setup for sidemounting? The direct routing of option 2 seems compelling no?

Thanks!
Option one became typical because it was easy to do with available parts anywhere. Sidemount popularity is a recent trend. Reversible regs weren't a common thing you could get easily. The guys originally doing SM were cave divers trying to get somewhere they couldn't with doubles. Using their existing equipment, they could easily switch over to SM using standard length hoses available anywhere.
It is still popular for the same reason, it is simple and it works.
Now that left and right feed regs are common and fairly easy to source, it is just a personal preference thing.

Thanks for your valuable input! I've got a second stage already configured with left intake so going to use it with a short hose for the left tank without loop around the neck. Option 2 it is... For now... 😂

Option one became typical because it was easy to do with available parts anywhere. Sidemount popularity is a recent trend. Reversible regs weren't a common thing you could get easily.
That makes sense! They used what they had available so that became the common approach...

For years I used your option 1, more for familiarity and less hassles as I switched back and forth between backmount and sidemount.
I currently use your option 2 now that I have a couple sets of regs. Once you practice with it the control knobs become second nature. Your breathing from the right, use the right hand to adjust. Breathing from the left, use the left.
Just to get an idea, what's the length of your left short hose going directly to necklace?

Back
Top Bottom