drysuit for cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandita16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone! Looking to get a drysuit that will be used mainly for CAVE diving. Looking for something strong and tough that will withstand advanced cave diving, as well as long walks through the jungle/rough terrain. What do you dive with and why do you love or hate it? Happy bubble blowing!

I have a dui flx. It holds up amazingly well compared to my old toe. If I had to do it again though I’d get an sf tech. They’re all custom cut and amazing suits. One of the most durable out there

A trilam with a cordura type overlay is the safest advice. There are several out there. Personally, I'm done with DUI due to crappy fitment on my highly overpriced custom TLS350 and damn leaky. I'm using a Diving Concepts for this purpose as it's super rugged and I got it cheaply enough (and have several others in the classifieds for sale) that if I destroy it, as unlikely as that is, I don't feel too bad. Decent travel suit too. I'm super bummed they closed a few years ago. They were absolutely excellent.

O3 and Waterproof Neoprene drysuits are a favorite of some for this work, although if hiking might get toasty, or even melty and rasinated.

The Waterproof line of Tri/Quadlam suits should also be looked at. The Quad is breathable and would be top of my list for MX and the like.

Products - Waterproof

The Fourth Element Argonaut 2.0 might be a good choice as well. Josh Thorton had one for years cave diving and couldn't kill it. Breathable and Kevlar based?? Look into it further for sure.

Argonaut 2.0 Diving Drysuit - Fourth Element

HOWEVER, since you're in Tulum just go into Protec and ask the guys what lives in those conditions.

If Patrick is around, please give him my regards from NYC.

Good Luck!

Justin

I agree with Tom on the neoprene suit. In Mexico you wouldn't need hardly any undergarments with one and they resist tears much better than a shell suit. Putting undergarments on in the heat really prolongs the suffering in my opinion. There are other neoprene suit manufacturers too. I have a Seaskin that has served me well. It isn't any better than O3 just a little cheaper.

I’ve used a 7mm wetsuit in the cenotes and was way too hot. I was literally steaming when I emerged. I changed to an old compressed 3mm and was somewhat cold. It seemed like a 5mm would have been best.

I would prefer to use a dry suit though because it provides backup buoyancy in the cenotes. I had not considered using my Waterproof D10 because I assumed it would be much warmer than a 5mm. Do you think I should try it? I hate the idea of hauling it all the way to Mexico if I won’t use it.

I agree with Tom on the neoprene suit. In Mexico you wouldn't need hardly any undergarments with one and they resist tears much better than a shell suit. Putting undergarments on in the heat really prolongs the suffering in my opinion. There are other neoprene suit manufacturers too. I have a Seaskin that has served me well. It isn't any better than O3 just a little cheaper.

Doesn’t everyone?

No, not everyone does. I worked for a dc and used one piece of kit we sold. I would not dive anything else sold there and luckily I was not forced to dive it just to make sales.

I dive and recommend what I believe in and won't compromise that for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom