Divers lose boat, no pilot left aboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange decision but it explains why it took her so long.
In the same situation, I'd have probably ditched the gear. It brings up the question, Is it best for everyone to stay together and drift for what could be hours or have someone try to swim to the boat? What if a family member was part of the 3 person group. Would you leave them and try for the boat? The person swimming for the boat might not ever catch it ! 28 miles off shore....

With building seas, possibly still having ample gas, likely no snorkel, it would make sense to keep your rig, IMO. The Gulf has short interval waves which would likely be white capping on you. I'd think you'd sacrifice streamlining for lift in this situation. Hard to say, unless you're actually in the moment.

I also think the only chance for survival was to get back to the boat. With the cold front on the door step, late in the day, odds of surviving the night would be slim. They were extremely lucky the anchor hung again. Definitely a tough call if your kid or family member was with you. Diving with a PLB solves that issue. Press the button and take your licking on social media.

From the article:
After spending over three hours in the water, Engle caught up to the boat 2.6 miles away from where they originally anchored, exhausted and nauseous.
“When I got into the boat I started vomiting pretty bad and wasn’t able to immediately get on the radio,” Engle said. “When I did it was around 5:30. The coast guard told me to stay there as much as I wanted to go search for them. It appeared the boat anchor had finally caught on something as the coordinates were static.

From my reading, the boat may have already anchored itself prior to her catching it, possibly dragging anchor along the way. Considering the sail area of a boat, one would be very lucky to catch a boat being pushed by a storm.

It's a bold move to go after the boat, but if there no one to call in an overdue notice, it may be the only way to get help. I'd rather face death doing something other than waiting.

Bob

She swam with all of her gear.
Wow! Safer than ditching, then trying to spend the night afloat if she failed to catch it, but I wouldn't think there would have been a chance of catching it with gear on. The lifesaving stroke of luck was that the boat's anchor caught again.

I don't think it was mentioned as to whether they'd left a plan with anyone ashore who could call the Coast Guard if overdue, not likely as reckless as they strike me, but even if they had - how long would have that person have waited, etc.

In the same situation, I'd have probably ditched the gear. It brings up the question, Is it best for everyone to stay together and drift for what could be hours or have someone try to swim to the boat? What if a family member was part of the 3 person group. Would you leave them and try for the boat? The person swimming for the boat might not ever catch it ! 28 miles off shore....
Fire my PLB and stay together! Without one, it would seem like an all or nothing hope of catching the boat, so I would think ditching gear to increase speed would have increased the odds. I would have kept my mask, fins, and folding snorkel I keep in a pocket, but I don't guess those are popular either.

I was amazed that the other two couldn't even bother to stay together, but I don't guess many carry buddy lines either. I do carry a lot of safety gear that others don't bother with, which I figure increases my odds of never needing most of it - but if I do, it'll be nice.

Sounds like there needs to be some kind of law banning unattended boats or some such. ...
I strongly disagree with this. I don't want any more nanny state laws to protect me from myself. I am willing to take responsibility for my actions. I should not be punished for the mistakes that others have made.

It is a fact that an unattended boat is a shipping hazard. It is also the case that a charge of negligence would be held against you in UK waters. Coming across an empty boat with no indication of divers beneath would not have you facing charges. It might be that laws in other countries are different but no-one at the helm = abandoned vessel. K
I disagree with your statement that "It is a fact that an unattended boat is a shipping hazard". If it is left in a shipping channel, then yes, you are correct. If it is left in an area that is normally considered a safe anchorage, then the opposite would be true. Other types of areas might constitute a gray area between the two.

As for the rest of that paragraph, I don't know UK laws, but in other areas, that is not how the maritime laws work.

In the same situation, I'd have probably ditched the gear.

It's not clear how good "the best swimmer of the 3" really is. 2.6 miles in 3 hours in gear in open sea is not too bad, but it's certainly not a trained swimmer's speed. So perhaps she did assess her swimming ability right, and good on 'er.

I'd probably drop the gear if I swam and kept it if I stayed.

I once chaised my dive flag that got blown away. In full gear, it took me about 20 min of hard work to catch up. I'd say, if I only had my fins on, I could do this in 5 min.

Back
Top Bottom