Thai SEAL that helped rescue boys dies of illness contracted during rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad. Can anyone explain what caused this infection during the rescue?
Sad news. :(

No idea the actual cause, the article mentions a blood infection. Caves can be nasty environments. I use ear beer after every cave dive and liquid bandaid if I have any cuts.

That's very sad. Hope we learn more about the cause of this blood infection. :(

Sad News to report about Diver who was on rescue team in Thailand Caver Rescue of the soccer team last year.

Very sad news.

My deepest sympathy to his family. He will be my hero forever along with all other rescuers who tried to save those soccer team and their coach.

Very sad news, I hope they release more information about the illness so it can help to prevent future fatalities.

A Canadian Health official said yesterday that since he succumbed over a year later, it could be from Melioidosis. It can be contracted through a wound or by ingesting or inhaling contaminated water or soil and the bacterium exists in Thailand. It was seen in soldiers returning from Vietnam and was known as the "Vietnamese Tuberculosis". This was the CTV news yesterday:

CTV National News: Thai Navy Seal dies

Melioidosis - Wikipedia

Very very sad.

I hope we get more info to confirm whether this was related to the rescue or something else. It could be helpful to prevent other accidents.

In the meantime RIP to a hero

Back
Top Bottom