Buy canister light or design custom light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this talk of patents is a bit funny, I'd be surprised if anybody managed to get one and on which part exactly. Either way, I can't start on this just yet but I plan to come up with a design to share for anybody to take advantage of if they send plans in to a printer or machiner.

Patent infringement also only matters if you intend to make a profit off the design.

I can 100% legally take an object...and make exact replicas of it for my own use.

Hell, I can even take an object, makes exact replicas, and post the designs online

Also, the alien light is essentially a Goodman handle...which is already in common use....and ide be surprised if they would allow that to be patented.

So ive been designing my own "alien" light design

Capture111.PNG

Capture1333.PNG

essentially does away with the "clamp" design of the alien light for a 1 piece mount, and uses non-marring setscrews to hold the lights in place

debating on making it out of anodized 6061 or 304 stainless.

Capture111.PNG

some minor design tweaks have it looking a little more "professional".....im currently printing out a prototype as we speak..

itll run around $200 to have it milled out of 304 stainless.....a touch cheaper if i make it out of 6061 AL.......then probably $100 for cerakoting.

if i leave it uncoated, itll actually be around the same price as the Alien light, but MUCH more bomb proof

made a little bit of progress, decided to mill a prototype myself before i have a final version milled in stainless

milling the profile:
IMG_0230.JPG

milling the pockets:
IMG_0234.JPG

final profile off the mill:
IMG_0241.JPG

going to abrasive tumble it tonight to get all the burrs off, then ill drill and tap and fab up the handle for it. will keep yall posted.

The finish on the bracket out of the tumbler is amazing, soooo happy with it.

fabbed up a quick handle from some scrap aluminum while waiting for the stainless I ordered to arrive. Did a quick test fit with the D520s that just came in and they fit perfectly!

8F267F19-6777-421A-B6FA-23779A56C90F.jpeg

304F78EB-128E-4D04-9771-6784A465CA8C.jpeg

1AA209B2-BDA9-4945-BE85-808DEF8591DA.jpeg

I am really happy with it...... although it is a bit heavy. I’ll see how it compares to the 3D print tomorrow, I might end up having it milled out of plastic, or I may stick with aluminum and to more skeletonizing and thinning the design from 1" thick to .75" to reduce the weight

so after diving with my previous light a bit.....i decided to simplify it a touch....i realized the adjustable handle wasnt really necessary, and i wanted to thicken up the handle a touch.

this is my newest iteration.
RZuwKiG.jpg

lpGnuTI.jpg

wFDhsRr.jpg

kW5Cx0i.jpg

gonna aim to get it in the water this weekend....well see how it does.

My better half has been using a triple Brinyte DIV 12S lights for approx 1.5 years so far.
The lights has been fixed into a homemade POM-C "brick" that has screws on top to secure the torches. Then the brick is attached into a basic goodman handle
She enjoys the battery level indicator leds witch helps her to save batteries on lights accordingly on long dives
Has been working great for ~70 dives.

Attachments

• triple_brinyte-2.jpg
    triple_brinyte-2.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 71
  • triple_brinyte.png
    triple_brinyte.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 75
so after diving with my previous light a bit.....i decided to simplify it a touch....i realized the adjustable handle wasnt really necessary, and i wanted to thicken up the handle a touch.

this is my newest iteration.

gonna aim to get it in the water this weekend....well see how it does.

How was the newest iteration in water?

I was window shopping for backup lights and stumbled into a very similar product as ppl has made for themselves
L3H5 Speleo, zestaw HI-MAX, 3 x 1100lm - HI-MAX POLSKA

Not sure if this could be something that would interest the @Whiskey-Out it seems that the post is over year old so not likely anymore, but if someone is in market for one this could be one option. ( Note that I have no idea about hi-max product quality etc. )

Back
Top Bottom