Trip Report Galapagos Islands Dive and Land Expedition Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I are enjoying our stay in Guayaquil Ecuador after an incredible ten days of diving and exploring the Galapagos Islands. We had a great time with a wonderful crew, guides, and other guests. The water was warmer than expected but five divers in drysuits didn't notice it, while a few wetsuit divers were chilled on some of the southernmost sites. The marine iguana dive featured some of the wildest surge I've experienced. We witnessed mating Whitetip reef sharks as well as catching a pair of Giant Tortoises in the act.

49501828806_4f26d18394_b.jpg

49503179747_d98ae0e8fb_b.jpg

49502950146_6f85a43b97_b.jpg

49502439953_a80ce14a79_b.jpg

49502786378_fa1e99082d_b.jpg

49503305941_c42701fdd2_b.jpg

49502795253_af89ce0c51_b.jpg

49502143692_8b7dc22206_b.jpg

49502148512_163fdd5053_b.jpg

49502842826_e41ba4bbf4_b.jpg

49503022281_8ff5394b42_b.jpg

49502150732_9ec53a3c02_b.jpg

49502143162_03c4bd68a2_b.jpg

49501931766_f3b275ee85_b.jpg

49501925996_986eea55a5_b.jpg

49501822146_34052312ff_b.jpg

49501319823_73341bdfb7_b.jpg

49503302111_241d00cfc9_b.jpg

49502800228_c861ffbded_b.jpg

49503543247_d6fefb6a67_b.jpg

More photos are at the following link.

Galapagos Islands

Wow. Sounds like a great trip and glad you had a fine one. Some amazing photos! I see the Galapagos Master in one shot; did you do a live-aboard on that boat?

Richard,

Yes, we did. The crew seemed to work 24 hours per day. They overfed us and took us to the right spots. I had the wrong lens, though. I brought a 15mm fisheye but rarely got close enough to get sharp images. I have to be within a foot or two but the hammerheads were mostly fifty feet away. I know better now. :(

Considering the viz. I saw my trip last month, and the stand-offishness of the scalloped hammerheads, I'm amazed you got shots as good as you did. And with the wrong lens?

Guessing your land iguana, blue footed booby and frigate bird shots are from the North Seymour land excursion, and the Galapagos tortoises in an area on Santa Cruz.

Where did you dive with the marine iguana? I didn't dive with any, but saw them on the rocky shoreline in San Cristobal before I got on our boat (the Humboldt Explorer).

Some of these big animals destinations rock, but they ain't cheap. Think you'll get around to trying the Socorros, Cocos Island, Malpelo or maybe another Galapagos trip?

I'm not a fan of warm water, but Merry is getting the itch. She already signed us up for an Australia trip next year. We have two weeks at God's Pocket in April, so I'll have to settle for SoCal water until then.

The iguana dive was at Fernandina Island. It was incredibly surgy and the iguanas were only in 13 feet, but that was the only reason I wanted to go there. I saw a few but was able to photograph only one in the surge. I shot some GoPro video of them that I will try to edit when we get home.

Hi Phil,

Such a pleasure to meet you and Merry on this trip. I am enjoying your pics very much--will share them with friends and family--thank you. The Galapagos Islands is such a special dive destination; and we were with an amazing group of people: crew and divers were all top notch.

If I may, the following suggestions might assist someone in their own trip-planning for the Galapagos:

1. I loved the 10-night turnaround on this trip: 2 days at Darwin's Arch, 2 days at Wolf, and the shallow, mid-day dive off Fernandina for the marine iguanas was terrific. I agree with Phil, the surge on that dive was "crazy-ass". In retrospect, I think the better approach would be to just accept the surge and ride with it. I tried too hard to anchor to a spot and this served to tire me out. I don't know if a 7-night itinerary would include Fernandina--so glad we had the opportunity for that dive!

2. I left my crushed neoprene drysuit at home (and glad I did) as it creates too much drag in the water, I opted for "layers" which served me extremely well. The coolest temperatures at depth were 66-70 degrees at Punta Vicente Roca and the early morning dive at Cabo Douglas. I had 4 layers to mix and match--the dive masters included anticipated water temps in their briefings.

3. Leave the reef hook at home and buy cheap utility gloves. I purchased thin gloves in Toronto (2 or 3 pair for $10). They are black, the ID on them reads: DAKOTA, CE, EN 388, 3131X, Size Medium. They did the job perfectly: enabling me to cling to the encrusted rock without tears or holes and dexterity was never compromised. Conventional dive gloves get chewed to bits, especially at Wolf and Darwin. These cheapo gloves worked great!

4. This was a last-minute trip for me. I booked all my own flights and managed to buy my Tourist Transit Card at the Guayaquil airport. I was required to present my passport, domestic flight itinerary and $20. I had checked on-line re protocols for acquiring this card--some older sources stated travellers required a "letter of introduction" from San Cristobal hotels/tour operators as proof of the # days to be spent in the Galapagos Islands, proof of health insurance. In my experience, the procedure was simple and straight forward.

5. Negative entries are required on many dives. Get down as fast as you can in order to stay with your group. I sucked the air out of my BC so I had minimal bubble to keep me hanging at the surface.

6. I have limited experience with "buddy diving". Fortunately, on this trip I had a wonderful dive buddy. We were in the same ballpark for air consumption and we communicated well. The divemasters briefed us on clear protocols for buddy separation. Occasionally, our dives (buddy and I) were shortened by a few minutes compared to the rest of the group. Larger capacity tanks were available--I managed OK using the equivalent of an aluminum 80.

Again, thank you Phil for your wonderful photos.

Best to you and Merry and hugs from snowy, cold Toronto!

Elaine

Wonderful photos and trip report. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

I sucked the air out of my BC so I had minimal bubble to keep me hanging at the surface.

In an old thread, I recall someone indicating inhaling to suck the air out of a BCD bladder might be a health hazard due to microbes growing inside. Wonder what the relative risk is?

On my trip, I stood beside my BP/W and mashed one side of the wing with my side, the other with my arm, while holding the gas release button on my inflator, and it made negative entries easier. The downside is, unlike sucking the air out, if I forgot before gearing up, I was pretty much stuck diving with air in the bladder.

In an old thread, I recall someone indicating inhaling to suck the air out of a BCD bladder might be a health hazard due to microbes growing inside. Wonder what the relative risk is?

On my trip, I stood beside my BP/W and mashed one side of the wing with my side, the other with my arm, while holding the gas release button on my inflator, and it made negative entries easier. The downside is, unlike sucking the air out, if I forgot before gearing up, I was pretty much stuck diving with air in the bladder.

Good point! If I start sounding like Patty and Selma from the Simpsons, I'll know there's a problem.

It's a challenge to remove the last air bubble in my BC. On occasion, I would remain at the surface, burp out the air using the inflator hose, then commence descent. Alternatively, I would force a descent through aggressive kicking/swimming and later adjust BC inflation at depth. Fortunately, I never lost my buddy or the group. (Sorry, I'm not skilled on the quoting function here).

Back
Top Bottom