Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't feel this thread has been about convincing. I found the discussion useful. It cemented in my mind my belief that, given my personal requirements, if I dive with Aldora again then I need to stay at the Villa again, and if I can't stay there because it's booked up or my budget doesn't allow it, then I will probably dive with 3Ps. Three great dive ops. (I think Blue XTSea remains on my list, too, having dived with them once.)
I don't disagree, we all have our own requirements, to each, their own

I won’t say how I know but if one stays a little too long at Magda’s magnificent breakfast and shows up at the dock moments late...they will stop and pick you up on their way back south. :wink:

Yep. And they'll let you know that they're quite unhappy about it. BTDT.

Those are some of my gripes with Aldora, which I have communicated.
  • Don't stick me on a boat with people getting refreshers, check out dives or anyone with under 10 total dives unless there are multiple DMs for the skill sets/dive sites. This happened to us with 3P as well.

There is a HUGE difference between diving with beginners on an Aldora boat and a Tres Pelicanos boat. As stated before, with Aldora it’s mandatory to dive as a group, so you will be going down and coming up (early) with the inexperienced divers. This is a nonissue with Tres Pelicanos. Jorge, Edgar, Steve or any of the other guides actively observe and assist the newbies or divers with special requests. So we are completely unaffected and able to dive accordingly.

I don't have a favorite. I lean towards using Aldora next time and one I lean away from. But, reading about people's experiences definitely helps.

Many useful and interesting comments/feedback on the dive ops Tres P, Aldora - not as many about Blue XT Sea but then again I didn't really ask about them either. Curious to hear from people about Blue XT Sea.

I am not a big breakfast person, but I DO want to eat something before going out diving - banana, toast or oatmeal. But I also don't like being rushed. Unfortunately, it might be hard to stay somewhere like CM where breakfast starts at 7, and I don't know if the food is available right at 7 or a little after. Makes a difference, as you have to factor in walking a few minutes to the pier. My husband and I don't dawdle, but it'd be nice to have something closer to 6:45 so maybe we need to look into staying at the Villa Aldora. I guess we could get some bananas at Mega and just have a banana in the morning too..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What works for you may not work for me, and I'm good with that. I don't mind coming up as a group as long as divers aren't banging into me or making my dives cut short significantly.

I probably shouldn't call myself out on this, but then again I don't care as I'm always learning and I'm not perfect. I've been diving a long time, but on a dive with Aldora last year, I checked my gear and psi (as I always do)....but then turned my air off. We got to the dive site, and guess what? I forgot to turn my air back on. Back flip into the water, down about 20ft when I realized this. Came shooting to the surface and motioned to the dive master - I think it was Dario - wow you should have seen him swim to me, fast as lightening! Turned on my air, I descended and all was good.

After the dive, he said that he was so sorry and that the boat captain was supposed to check everyone's tank before they got in the water. I said oh no, please don't say anything - it was my fault. My dive, my life, my breathing etc. - it was my fault.

We will probably book with Aldora, just wish we could get breakfast a little earlier, maybe Villa Escondida can have something for us by 7 or a little before.....

If you are diving Aldora and can swing the cost of the Villa that is absolutely the best choice.

If you are diving Aldora and can swing the cost of the Villa that is absolutely the best choice.

Not necessarily.

The villas look lovely, and make the diving logistics much easier.

They also make non-diving logistics (going out to lunch, dinner, activities for non-diving spouse, meeting non-diving spouse after diving) more difficult.

Whether Villa Aldora or an AirBnB, we prefer having a kitchenette for making our own breakfasts and thereby controlling our own morning schedules. The fruit--papayas, pineapples, mangoes, bananas, etc.--in Mexico is generally delicious. We sometimes make breakfast quesadillas, too.

Not necessarily.

They also make non-diving logistics (going out to lunch, dinner, activities for non-diving spouse, meeting non-diving spouse after diving) more difficult.
You are right. I was looking at it from my priorities. I would not dive Aldora and stay in town for reasons mentioned. Either Villa or south for southern pier pickup.

Not necessarily.

The Villa provides bicycles free for use of their guests, and that is what we used to get around. And of course taxis can be called. But I agree with the sentiment--the Villa is on the fringe of downtown, and you're not just a block or two from restaurants, etc., as you would be if staying right downtown.

Back
Top Bottom