Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes my eye (6th optic nerve) healed up after about 90 days. I think its more to do with the station, further forward on either if its choppy its best to secure the tank with a bungee as the weight of a rig (particularly a steel BP) can cause them to pitch forward from the mount.

Great news that your eye has healed-but the patch did look cool inside your mask a la Emilio Largo.

Re the station and gear. It seems to me, where I was I could not fit my two-cam-band backplate over the tank while standing it up at my seating area. Usually, I just tilt the tank inboard toward me, slip the BP&W over the tank, then latch the cam buckles down. For some reason, I could not set it up that way.

They have a limited number of coffee pots for their guests to use in their rooms. If you are very friendly to them, (which I am - always) and if you ask them very nicely, (which I do - always), they will happily furnish you with a coffee maker.
:oops: I thought I was asking nicely our first trip. They acted as though they had no idea what I was asking for. Eric is the coffee drinker and he actually prefers his cold. So he has a hot cup of coffee at the buffet then fills a medium sized reusable coffee cup he sits in the room fridge to enjoy post dives.

Why never again with Blue XT sea?
Let's just say losing a camera, with strobe, on a dive boat is something I would rather not enjoy again.

Do tell, how do you lose a camera that is the boat's fault?
When you hand it to a crew member, and then get on the boat and it's gone? Or should you not trust them with your equipment?

When you hand it to a crew member, and then get on the boat and it's gone? Or should you not trust them with your equipment?
Wow, one of the few answers I would not have expected. I wonder how they "lost" it? It's hard to imagine. I have handed my camera up in huge seas and into small RHIBs, I've never worried that my camera would not be there.

I have no reason to doubt your veracity, but then again, I have no reason to question the integrity of the Blue XT Sea crew after 200+ dives with them. Was no explanation given? Also, who was the dive guide and captain that day and when did this occur? I am not sure what actually happened based on your response? You handed it up and they dropped it? If so, did no one attempt to retrieve it. You handed it up and then got back to shore after diving and it wasn't on the boat? Weird and I can't imagine @Christi not making things right with you.

I am an early riser anyway, so I can have all my stuff organized and ready to go. I guess it does sound silly to say "I hate being rushed but I do lol - and some places I've been, breakfast is not ready when they say, and you're waiting, etc. so wasn't sure what the deal is here.

If you dive with 3P's, you drop all of your gear off with them the day you arrive before your first dive the next day or if you arrive late after the shop has closed you haul it to the shop the morning that you start diving. After that you can let 3P's take care of all of it and I mean ALL OF IT. They haul it, rinse it, hang it, pack it again and have it set it up for you on the boat every day waiting and ready for your inspection when you arrive at the boat. The only thing we personally haul daily back and forth is our UW camera. With 3P's the days of hauling gear and dealing with that whole mess are over in Coz.

I will also say that I'm anal about our gear. I generally don't like other people even touching it. However, I got comfortable with 3P's and after owner Steve B's proding that they would take care of it all without any issues I decided I'd give them chance and see how it went. Well, 7 years have passed for us diving with 3P's and I have to say they do a better job at rinsing and dealing with all the gear than I ever did. Furthermore, we have A LOT of gear. BC's, regs, DC's, fins, masks, wet suits, booties, beanies, dive lights, DSMB's, dive socks, head bands, and lord knows what else we stuff in those dive bags. Every day, it has all been set up on the boat and waiting for us.

Furthermore, when we have experienced a gear problem that couldn't be remedied on the boat Pony at the shop told us not to worry about it and he would service the item and have it on the boat the next day. Pony located the components that needed replaced and charged us for the cost of the components only. We were pleased to tip him for his labor and time spent as he is a certified Scubapro tech and we had a Scubapro problem.

I have no reason to doubt your veracity, but then again, I have no reason to question the integrity of the Blue XT Sea crew after 200+ dives with them. Was no explanation given? Also, who was the dive guide and captain that day and when did this occur? I am not sure what actually happened based on your response? You handed it up and they dropped it? If so, did no one attempt to retrieve it. You handed it up and then got back to shore after diving and it wasn't on the boat? Weird and I can't imagine @Christi not making things right with you.
Well, the response was, it was the young mans first day on the job, I climbed the ladder, asked for my camera, and it was gone, and no she didn't make any effort to make things right. This was years ago, and a friend, and Local Dive Guide, Hector Reeyes, who worked for Scuba Du, at the time found it and returned it to me on my next trip. If you don't believe me, please ask him, he's an honest man, and good friend. So let me ask you, why would someone use a picture from thirty years ago to represent themselves on Scubaboard? Also let me know where her shop is? Oh wait, I don't think she has one. 200 dives means **** to me Sir, sorry not impressed. You asked …… So, like I said never again.... I do wish them well.....

Here's a little tip for the CM "after coffee" crowd...

They have a limited number of coffee pots for their guests to use in their rooms. If you are very friendly to them, (which I am - always) and if you ask them very nicely, (which I do - always), they will happily furnish you with a coffee maker.

Although I am an early riser, my gear is always ready to go the night before. That leaves me plenty of time to make a pot of coffee and sit out on the balcony drinking a cup or two while watching the cruise ships come to life before breakfast time.

I had stopped drinking coffee for 2 years (I know crazy) and was only drinking tea. Then a friend turned me onto the French Press way of making coffee and I'm back! That K-cup maker went to Good Will. No wonder I stopped coffee, those k-cups are nasty-stale, old, bleh. I will probably bring a small French Press w/me on next trip so all I need is hot water in my room :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom