Undergarments in warmer waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have suggestions for undergarments for water in the 65-75 degree range? I have thicker undergarments that are good for down to 40ish degrees (or at least as far as I have had them). Tried my undergarments in the pool that was heated to 80 degrees and it was far too heavy. Looking for something lighter I can use in the waters where if I wasn't in doubles I'd be in a 3 mm or 5 mm wetsuit.

Doesnt have to be dive-specific, was planning on heading to REI and checking out their thin fleece layers, just wasnt sure what thickness(es) to start with.

What duration? Exertion level? What are you using now? Cold natured? Anything from merino wool up to a Halo 3D and heat depending on our answers to these questions.

What duration? Exertion level? What are you using now? Cold natured? Anything from merino wool up to a Halo 3D and heat depending on our answers to these questions.
Right now I have a set of Otter Polar Ds (2 piece) and also a 4E Halo 3D suit. The Halo 3D in my opinion is only slightly warmer than the Otter Polar D, and it was way too hot for me in 80 degree pool.

Most of my local diving is 45-60 degrees F, so I am covered in that window already.

I tolerate cold pretty well in my opinion, but I'd rather be warm than cold. Dives would be 30-35 min max as of right now.

Right now I have a set of Otter Polar Ds (2 piece) and also a 4E Halo 3D suit. The Halo 3D in my opinion is only slightly warmer than the Otter Polar D, and it was way too hot for me in 80 degree pool.

Most of my local diving is 45-60 degrees F, so I am covered in that window already.

I tolerate cold pretty well in my opinion, but I'd rather be warm than cold. Dives would be 30-35 min max as of right now.
I’d go with a set of Arctics in a trilam suit. If those are too warm, a made to measure 200g suit from Seaskin. If you’re in a thick neoprene suit, a merino baselayer and a vest would have you covered.

I’d go with a set of Arctics in a trilam suit. If those are too warm, a made to measure 200g suit from Seaskin. If you’re in a thick neoprene suit, a merino baselayer and a vest would have you covered.
Thanks - should have mentioned that as well, I am in a trilam suit.

I feel like the Arctics would be too warm. I was told my Otter suit was very similar to the Arctics as far as warmth goes.

I'm in wool socks and wicking layers from under armor in the pool.

Pool dives were only for checking weighting in those undergarments, not my normal pool wear. Generally wont even have drysuit in pool.

I find in water in the temp range you mentioned that I am more comfortable in my wetsuit or semi-dry than I am in my drysuit with a thin undergarment...I found that I was adding tons of air to my drysuit because the thin fleece undergarment I was wearing was not providing me much thermal protection.

-Z

I find in water in the temp range you mentioned that I am more comfortable in my wetsuit or semi-dry than I am in my drysuit with a thin undergarment...I found that I was adding tons of air to my drysuit because the thin fleece undergarment I was wearing was not providing me much thermal protection.

-Z

Yeah might just have to be a little warm. Drysuit is being used because of heavy steel doubles. Need redundant buoyancy.

Yeah might just have to be a little warm. Drysuit is being used because of heavy steel doubles. Need redundant buoyancy.

Why not forgo the drysuit and carry a lift bag instead and use as necessary? It will save wear and tear on your drysuit and overall you will probably be more comfortable during your dive.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom