Is my air consumption...bad-ish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks - I also just realized (duh...) that MacDive calculates both SAC and RMV for me so I'm good. Whew!

MacDive is the best! I love being able to save many different tank configurations and have it automatically give me my RMV.

It is nice to know the math behind it though. It's all just unit conversion really. :)

Is there an EASY way to calculate my air consumption - without having to do calculus (or whatever branch of math is involved)? When I was using my Datamask, and the software was still supported, I could access it via my computer. But now I'd have to figure it out on my own and ... er ... I'm lazy? :wink: (So sorry if this question has been asked and answered a zillion times already)

@Kimela. If you use a Mac computer, I can highly recommend MacDive for logging/storing your dives. It will give you both SAC and RMD after you enter your dive data. My dive computer data can be downloaded directly to MacDive, and according to their website, Datamask is also supported without the need for special drivers.

@Kimela. If you use a Mac computer, I can highly recommend MacDive for logging/storing your dives. It will give you both SAC and RMD after you enter your dive data. My dive computer data can be downloaded directly to MacDive, and according to their website, Datamask is also supported without the need for special drivers.

Second this! They also have an iOS app. I don't have a Mac but I just sync my Perdix with my phone at the end of every dive day and it logs it for me.

Second this! They also have an iOS app. I don't have a Mac but I just sync my Perdix with my phone at the end of every dive day and it logs it for me.

@Kmart921. Thanks, I forgot to mention the IOS app because my wife has the IPhone in the family, while mine is an Android.

I think there is a Perdix conspiracy going on here!!! Maybe that'll be my next dive computer. My Datamask still works, but I hung it up because the lens prescription was about 8 years old and I decided to go to a regular mask and a Geo 4.0 because even with a better prescription, you can only have one bifocal in a Datamask (because the other lens area is taken up by the computer) and I really need both eyes to see up close for picture taking. So ... I like the Geo but it's not AI. So I'll have to re-read these responses later and see what I can do to figure out my SAC or RMV (whichever is better?). I know my air consumption has gotten better and better over the years - it's really just a curiosity of mine now (and maybe bragging rights if the number is good!). :)

I see MacDive is $10 - which is fine - but does it require an air integrated dive computer (see above post - I'm not using my Datamask anymore and don't have an AI). the Geo does keep track of the dive profile - and I love the app - just no air info. Thanks!

Subsurface is a very popular option for this. Once you import the dive(s) from your computer, you key in your tank size together with start and end pressures and the software calculates consumption. You just need to remember those 3 numbers (tank size, start and end pressure).

Easier than this, you'd need an air integrated computer.

I could take pics of my gauge at the beginning and end of each dive - and I always seem to be using the same size tanks (AL 80?). Thanks. My next dive trip isn't until August ... unless I can finagle one in somewhere else ... :wink:

I see MacDive is $10 - which is fine - but does it require an air integrated dive computer (see above post - I'm not using my Datamask anymore and don't have an AI). the Geo does keep track of the dive profile - and I love the app - just no air info. Thanks!

You can either download the dive data from your computer or input the data manually, and it will compute your SAC/RMV. My dive computers are AI, but if they were not, I would have to input the start/end psi into MacDive and you can select whatever tank you used for the dives. I find the app very easy to use, and accurate without me having to do the math computations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom