Air consumption vs regulator ease of breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just had my regulator serviced and it breathes amazingly easy. (On the tank at home---I haven't had it in the water yet.) It has always been an easy breather, but this tech adjusted it to a fine degree. I have always used very little air, especially for a big guy. I'm usually the last one back on the boat. Wondering if anyone has experienced or has any info on this: Could an exceptionally easy breathing regulator actually make a diver more likely to use MORE air (gas) than just a good regulator? Is a slight bit of breathing resistance a good thing? Maybe a crazy question. Any ideas or experience on this????

The less you worry/fret about air consumption, the better, I think. You want to have a normal relaxed breath, but with increased demand you need more ventilation. If you have too much breathing resistance (high work of breathing) it could lead to improper ventilation and CO2 retention, which would in turn lead to higher breathing rate to try to get rid of the CO2, possibly panic and hyperventilation. That will definitely increase your air consumption. I like regs that are so easy-breathing that they almost free-flow, but I don't worry about the effect on my air consumption.

I could see If it's set to light, and it doesn't snap shut fast enough, that a bit of air will go out of the exhaust valve....

That probably will depend on how you breathe, but probably will be unnoticeable to measure...

I don't really like it when diving in strong currents, when a backup tends to free flow just from the current... you will lose more air like that...

Could an exceptionally easy breathing regulator actually make a diver more likely to use MORE air (gas) than just a good regulator?

No, not at all as long as it doesn't leak air.

Is a slight bit of breathing resistance a good thing?

No, the second stage should be as easy to breathe as possible without air leaks (and according to specs).

I'm struggling to understand this sentence.
Some like to say that a crappy breathing reg is better and lowers air consumption, inversely they tell you that an easy breathing reg wastes air and increases consumption, they suffer low oxygen brain damage in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom