The New Dive Rite Optima CM - My 30 Hour Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOB needs to be measured in all positions and compared to other units, an empirical judgement is not much use unless some says it breathes badly. We all have different experiences and reference points for WOB.

Completely agree, on behalf of any potential customer, can anyone connected with this unit tell us has the unit passed EN14143, or any externally validated testing? Are there plans for the units WOB to be tested even?

How does its WOB compare to other existing units WOB on the market and subjective descriptions of WOB do not count.

Nope, the scrubber is a rigid volume, it has zero impact on hydrostatic loading

You are quoting me, not stuartv.

It don’t see how it matters that the scrubber is a “rigid volume”. What matters is how far the gas has to travel away from the lungs, and where that farthest point is is in relation to the surface. Gas always wants to find a way to the surface/up. Whether the gas is inside plastic, rubber or ballistic nylon, when it’s in the loop, it’s subject to ambient pressure and the physics that go with it.

Lol, just go dive one.

I'm certified on nearly every popular unit. I've dove in nearly every current unit on the market. Except for swimming upside down, this breathes better than all of them in any position.

FYI, I scooter in high flow a few times per week. But don't take my word for it, try diving one.

The appeal? It's a full eccr unit that weighs 31lbs, flies commercially like a breeze, can be carried one handed by even weak people, fully rigged. It breathes like a dream, tested down to 450+'. But the greatest thing.... It can be "supermanned" through a restriction. All that, backed by DiveRite's stellar customer service with a price tag under $6k

I assume by “supermanned” you mean the unit can be unclipped and pushed through a restriction in front of the diver? If so, that does sound like a big advantage for a cave diver over other designs.

But is that worth the trade off of maximum chest clutter during the rest of the dive? Obviously it’s an individual choice, but I thought it worth asking since many of the overhead environment divers on forums complained about the “chest clutter” of OTS CLs for the last 25 years. Chest clutter even trumped better WOB in all orientations for many cave and wreck divers.

Wob is more important to me than almost anything. Being able to dewater is about the second biggest factor to me.

For a guy diving restrictions, the CM wins on both accounts.

I don't need someone to tell me that their testing concluded that chocolate is good. I can simply eat the chocolate.

Remember, testing said that Clinton was going to win the election.

Disinterested third party here, but intrigued by RB's, so following this thread.

Why the focus on testing? I understand the need for EN testing for EU sales, and why that interests a potentially large number of divers.

Honest question though..I'm not trying to start a personal battle here, but genuinely curious. Why is @Superlyte27 's experience seemingly being ignored? Again, I've never even seen an RB in person..but he sounds pretty well qualified to make subjective comparisons to me?

My mind defaults to firearm suppressors. A lot of people put a LOT of stock in test numbers. Lower dB tests mean it's a quieter silencer, therefore better. But the testing standards don't look at tonality, length of impulse, etc. and so there are numerous cases of a factually "louder" silencer being consistently perceived as being considerably quieter than a factually "quieter" one by subjective observer/user input.

Once again, no clue here and no dog in this fight, but are whatever WOB tests that exist really that much better than subjective, experienced user input? I really am curious, and not trying to suggest anyone here is wrong.

...Why the focus on testing? ..... Why is @Superlyte27 's experience seemingly being ignored? ....

It's just new and @Superlyte27 is a well known SB member who is well respected. The "Focus on Testing" is not so much for numerical scientific peer reviewed data. It's more like a " Test Drive ". You see each of us dives just a little bit differently and not one single gear configuration is best for everyone. When he mentioned the superman push, that is extremely important to some cave divers. But for someone towing 2 scooters because they are trying to push an end-of-line dive plan that never hits a restriction it's not a requirement. Same as a wreck diver who is freakish about sharp metal parts tearing a hole in his bladder that a cave diver doesn't worry about.

In the next few months many people will "Test Drive" the unit and comment. We all dive gear differently and no one piece of gear will be perfect for everyone....... EXCEPT FOR THE COLD BEER GEAR AFTER ANY DIVE !!

Back
Top Bottom