Why do Used Divesoft Liberty's Lose so much value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen anything in the Liberty that makes me think that the Liberty is less safe than a reVo, JJ, Inspo or Prism etc. While the systems do have some extra complexities in them, from what I can see they are just things that are operating away quietly in the background but don't add any task loading or cause any issues for the diver.

The other thing is we don't seem to be seeing any Liberty divers diving on regular bimbles to 50-60 metres on a reef wall or wreck - most have been dives to 120 metres + in caves, or 100 metre solo dives etc. There have been a couple with known causes that can't be blamed on the rebreather - entering the water with O2 cylinder turned off, or severe DCI after getting blown out of a cave.

Did the Liberty divers that you spoke to indicate that the software issues occurred in the water or during startup etc?
Looks like I somehow stuffed up what I meant to say - the second paragraph was supposed to say -

The other thing is we don't seem to be seeing any Liberty divers dying on regular bimbles to 50-60 metres on a reef wall or wreck - most deaths on a Liberty have been on dives to 120 metres + in caves, or 100 metre solo dives etc. There have been a couple with known causes that can't be blamed on the rebreather - entering the water with O2 cylinder turned off, or severe DCI after getting blown out of a cave.

Adding my 2 cents as a Liberty Heavy 2021 owner.

I am curious to know what kind of software issues those divers reported. Combined with 2 other friends, we have above 400 hours on the Liberty (1 heavy, 2 sidemount), and I never had any software issue during a dive or pre-dive. Neither my friends, diving up to 60m.

Divesoft updates the software quite often, maybe 3 to 4 times a year (in the past 2 years). Maybe the software issues were reported in old units?

Regards,
OK that is great to know! Many thanks for that! What is the tech diving scene like in Hong Kong?

LOL, no tech diving in HK. Below 15m you have 0 visibility. We normally do tech diving in Philippines.
I can relate to that - I live in southern Australia but tech dive in the Red Sea - mainly because as far as I know there aren't any 2000 year old shipwrecks in Australia - oh and the water is warmer too :)

Why does a Corvette loose $12000 in value with 600 miles on it? Why is a $4000 gaming computer basically a paperweight after 3 years? What do you think a YBOD is worth these days?. A Sentinel.

For most people, diving is a hobby. Hobbies are not secured investments. Hobbies cost money. Go buy a boat and find out.

Why does a Corvette loose $12000 in value with 600 miles on it? Why is a $4000 gaming computer basically a paperweight after 3 years? What do you think a YBOD is worth these days?. A Sentinel.

For most people, diving is a hobby. Hobbies are not secured investments. Hobbies cost money. Go buy a boat and find out.
Thtat"s the point!

I'm an Inspo instructor, love them, but know that EVERY rebreather will loose value as any hobby tool will.
An instructor friend of mine just told me once what a great deal i've made selling my sidewinder for 75% of the price i've payed.
Yes, we love and give a lot of value for our machines, but that's the hard truth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom