Divesoft Liberty - Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blugold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to hear stories of reliability or failure/malfunction specific to Divesoft Liberty CCRs. I’d prefer first hand accounts but stories about a friend who dives the unit will also work.

Please keep posts specific to DiveSoft Liberty unit configurations: (Backmount, Sidemount, Light, Heavy).

I’ve heard a lot of people post about Liberty’s design being over complicated and their use of redundant systems create unnecessary failure points but I want to hear how “real” this paranoia is. Have you or friends been left dry because of major or minor electronic malfunction?

For example, I’ve read posts of people fearing solenoids and other eCCR components because they can fail/malfunction. Let’s say something electronically does fail 1 in every 500 dives unannounced after passing all pre dive checks. My mental math on the Liberty then says their fully redundant electronics would only leave you without functioning electronics 1 in every 250,000 dives (1/500 * 1/500) if both systems were to fail at the same time.

I fully understand building in more electronics opens the door for more failure points but I feel these exist on any eCCR and if I’m choosing to accept the risk of electronics and eCCR I’d sure like to have a backup to as many components as possible.

Looking forward to reading everyone’s experiences 👍

You’ll be hard pressed to find any of this data reported and I can only remember a couple people on the forum that own and dive one. Joe/Matiej at Divesoft might be good sources of information. What exactly are you asking? Is the Liberty a safer unit than others? Pros and cons of the Liberty? Is the “complication” worth the weight? There’s few enough in circulation and reporting sufficiently nonexistent that I don’t think you’ll find an answer to your question as asked. Most CCR issues are human error.
I want to hear stories of reliability or failure/malfunction specific to Divesoft Liberty CCRs. I’d prefer first hand accounts but stories about a friend who dives the unit will also work.

Please keep posts specific to DiveSoft Liberty unit configurations: (Backmount, Sidemount, Light, Heavy).

I’ve heard a lot of people post about Liberty’s design being over complicated and their use of redundant systems create unnecessary failure points but I want to hear how “real” this paranoia is. Have you or friends been left dry because of major or minor electronic malfunction?

For example, I’ve read posts of people fearing solenoids and other eCCR components because they can fail/malfunction. Let’s say something electronically does fail 1 in every 500 dives unannounced after passing all pre dive checks. My mental math on the Liberty then says their fully redundant electronics would only leave you without functioning electronics 1 in every 250,000 dives (1/500 * 1/500) if both systems were to fail at the same time.

I fully understand building in more electronics opens the door for more failure points but I feel these exist on any eCCR and if I’m choosing to accept the risk of electronics and eCCR I’d sure like to have a backup to as many components as possible.

You’ll be hard pressed to find any of this data reported and I can only remember a couple people on the forum that own and dive one. Joe/Matiej at Divesoft might be good sources of information. What exactly are you asking? Is the Liberty a safer unit than others? Pros and cons of the Liberty? Is the “complication” worth the weight? There’s few enough in circulation and reporting sufficiently nonexistent that I don’t think you’ll find an answer to your question as asked. Most CCR issues are human error.
What I’m exactly asking for is 1st and 2nd hand accounts of Liberty’s robust redundant electronic systems either:

failing/malfunctioning leading to running the unit manually or bailing out.

Or

Allowing the user to stay on the unit where they otherwise would have probably needed to run another unit manually or bailout.

——————————

I’ve talked with Joe recently, great guy. Was hoping to get some user feedback that doesn’t work directly for Divesoft.

I couldn’t find many posts on the forum specifically about Liberty units and users sharing their thoughts so I was hoping to scare a few more up out of the weeds to share their experience.

Have you read up on the accident analysis of each incident from the 7+ fatalities over the past decade; starting with their test diver in June 2012…?

Let’s say something electronically does fail 1 in every 500 dives unannounced after passing all pre dive checks. My mental math on the Liberty then says their fully redundant electronics would only leave you without functioning electronics 1 in every 250,000 dives (1/500 * 1/500) if both systems were to fail at the same time.
Do you assume that Liberty teaches starting the dive with something failed at pre dive checks?
Find Liberty eCCR group on FB - more live info on this reb, than on SB

Do you assume that Liberty teaches starting the dive with something failed at pre dive checks?

I would never assume any rebreather manufacturer would approve starting a dive if anything fails during the pre dive check.

- Was looking for stories where after everything passes pre-dive something fails during the dive and the Liberty unit allowed the diver to stay on their rebreather (in eCCR mode) because of its redundancy.

Find Liberty eCCR group on FB - more live info on this reb, than on SB

I’ll check out the FB page, thanks for the tip 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom