Divesoft DNA review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Divesoft DNA review.

Thanks to the amazing customer service at Paragon Dive Store, I ordered the new Divesoft DNA (Divesoft Nitrox Analyzer) and I finally got to use it this weekend.

I am an OW recreational diver and do not have a lot of dives under my dive belt, but Nitrox was one of the first courses I took as I feel this is important to me. I have always used the dive shop analyzer for both local dives and the most often, travel dives.

I was on the fence about a couple of things. 1) cost was a huge factor. I was back and forth about having to pay extra for the cell, but then Ben @DiveTucson helped me resolve those concerns. Plus the size was a big contributor as well. The cell that is needed is a little cheaper than other cells out there and in a few years I will probably reach out to rebreather divers for their old cells. Hopefully that will work, but I will worry about that in a few years 2) using my cell phone to read the output instead of it being built into the analyzer itself.

In the end, for me, and my diving, I always have my cell phone with me on dive trips as a necessity, so I went for it. I know it makes it difficult to share, and there are other issues some people may have, but for me, it works. I do hope that, from a cost perspective and recycle perspective I will be able to find older cells from rebreathers on this forum when I need them. 😉

It was very easy to install the cell and the battery. It is very compact and at times I thought it looked a little phallic, but that could just be my own issues😊. The analyzer is compact and feels solid. Once the end caps are on, I do not feel they are loose or have concern with them. There is a bit of connectivity wire inside to connect the cell on one side and the battery on the other, but with care, I did not have a problem. The unit comes with a carry case which feels sturdy and is a nice touch. So overall impression is everything looks well made.

The app itself was at first a little annoying as there are several icons on the main screen with analyzer at the bottom, and for me, that is all I wanted, but then I saw I could remove the icons I was not going to use. Divesoft app is geared to their main customer base who are technical divers, so that is also why I found it annoying. I like the Keep It Simple ideology for apps but clearly there is more to the app than just nitrox analysis. The online manual is easy to understand and I had the thing running in no time. It took 10 seconds to analyze the gas and it matched what my LDS and I had read on their analyzer (Novar stick). I should also note, I have 2 cell phones. My primary cell and a travel cell. After installing the app in both and syncing the DNA via Bluetooth to my primary, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it also showed up in the second phone.

Peace to all and again, a big thank you to Paragon Dive store for their great customer service as usual.

I was thinking of getting one of these, they are fairly cheap, and I like that they are small.... but I didn't like having to have my cell phone near by, because on a LOB or other places, I feel the cell phone is a liability. I was thinking of going the El Cheapo route, fun build project, and pretty cheap! Not sure how bit they are though.

What is the benefit of an analyzer that requires a smartphone app over one that displays the O2 % on a simple onboard LCD screen.

Am I missing something here?

What is the benefit of an analyzer that requires a smartphone app over one that displays the O2 % on a simple onboard LCD screen.

Am I missing something here?
No benefit. Just smaller size

No benefit. Just smaller size
Really not significantly smaller than my Analox O2EII.

Ironic that it would be less expensive given that it has an rf communications array in place of a 3-digit LCD display.

I was thinking of going the El Cheapo route, fun build project, and pretty cheap! Not sure how bit they are though.
Definitely bigger than the DNA. But, if you can get a smaller housing, you can definitely shrink it down. The housing it comes with is about 3 1/2” by 5 1/2”. The circuit board is about an 1” by 2”. Apart from that, some space is needed for the on/off switch, potentiometer, 9 volt battery, and the mini jack for the O2 sensor. O2 sensor is external, so not included in it.

Definitely bigger than the DNA, but not so large that I thought about leaving it at home on a trip.

Just got mine today from Paragon Dive Store. I was initially skeptical about the phone app interface, but the app is solid, and the link is automatic and reliable, with no input required from the user.
The device itself is simple, rugged and compact and comes with a nice clamshell case, similar to the one Shearwater computers come in. I'll feel a lot better about throwing it in my gear box than I would a Nuvair (which was my other consideration) in its thin plastic tube.

Overall very happy so far.

I used mine on weekend and was great. Not sure its better or worse than analox maybe bit smaller

Back
Top Bottom