Am I the dumb one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah. In this lies the issue.

I always add He first, and then the O2, and then blast in the air on top to get everything circulating nicely.

I've missed the mix, not enough for a rebreather to care, but never waited for a mix to settle out. I would mix 8 444 cu ft at a time.
I too would fill slowly, then at the end blast some air. There’s no way at the gases aren’t mixed after that.

I assumed the people having issues were filling slow and their measurements were distorted by the last gas in the manifold.

I believe the principle cause is temperature of the gases, don't quote me on that, I could be misremembering, a search here may bring it up, I think it has been discussed before.
But basically the different gases end up with different temperatures, He being lower than O2 and N2, which right after filling, bottle upright shows a lower He content than bottle upside down.
So, the homogeneous mixing happens when the different gas molecules reach same temperature(?)

Wookie, you're filling T-bottles. I've mentioned it seems the smaller the cylinder the more drastic the difference. Rebreather bottles being the best examples, and likely a 444 cf3 bottles being the opposite.

Bunch of interesting info here; I had not considered He, as I've only witnessed Nitrox divers doing this. Not surprised there.

It would only make sense that He would be affected by this, especially on a hot fill, based on the molecular weight (being the lightest gas on Earth behind Hydrogen)

H ~1g/mole
He 4g/mole
N 28g/mole
O 32g/mole

I would NEVER believe that rolling and rocking the tanks works, but I have seen it work too many times to argue otherwise - for PP mixing of nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom