Can you repair a leaky mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, if that clown on TV can build a boat out of Flex Seal, I am sure that if you use enough of it, you can fix a leaky mask.

Hey, if that clown on TV can build a boat out of Flex Seal, I am sure that if you use enough of it, you can fix a leaky mask.

Thanks for reminding me about this thread.

@Skip Mac How about an update?

Thanks for reminding me about this thread.

@Skip Mac How about an update?

Sorry I haven't checked into the forum for a while. Guess you can understand why. On top of the virus crisis business has been insane but for more than one wrong reason. I sell chemicals and all the speculators have driven the price of alcohols (used to make sanitizers and disinfectants) up to quadruple normal price. I've got customers all over the US that can't get alcohol for critical applications or if they can get it have to pay outrageous prices. Really disgusting.

Anyway, rant over. To the mask. I looked at the construction and figured out it would disassemble by removing a clip in the front. Pulled it apart and found a little grit between the lenses and the soft sealing areas around the hard frame. Cleaned it up and reassembled but other than looking at it closely haven't had a chance to test the end results. Maybe I'll try a dive in the tub over the weekend.

Easy leak check: Put the mask lens down on a sheet of paper and carefully pour as much water into it as you can without spilling over. Leave it overnight and check for a wet spot in the morning.

The frame of my cressi's evo big eyes mask is made of two pieces of hard plastic that clip together sandwiching in between them the silicon. At one corner somehow the pieces were coming unclipped and then the mask was leaking. It was ok once I clipped it back but with use (after a couple of dives) it went unclipped and leaking again.
I used some super glue on the spot (it was far enough from any silicon and on the outside of the mask i.e. not near eyes) and I have been using it for around 150 dives now without any further issues.

The frame of my cressi's evo big eyes mask is made of two pieces of hard plastic that clip together sandwiching in between them the silicon. At one corner somehow the pieces were coming unclipped and then the mask was leaking. It was ok once I clipped it back but with use (after a couple of dives) it went unclipped and leaking again.
I used some super glue on the spot (it was far enough from any silicon and on the outside of the mask i.e. not near eyes) and I have been using it for around 150 dives now without any further issues.

This sounds like the same way my mask is constructed. Hoping the leak test comes out positive or is that negative IE no leaks.

This sounds like the same way my mask is constructed. Hoping the leak test comes out positive or is that negative IE no leaks.

In my case the leak was not huge. It resulted in enough water to require a mask clean (maybe half inch to an inch "deep" at the bottom of the mask) every 10min or so. Disturbing a bit but quite diveable.

I could see the two plastic parts apart i.e. there was a small gap between then. With some force i.e. with pliers or something the parts would clip together and the gap would close for a couple of dives until they would unclip again. Can you see something like this in yours?

In my case the leak was not huge. It resulted in enough water to require a mask clean (maybe half inch to an inch "deep" at the bottom of the mask) every 10min or so. Disturbing a bit but quite diveable.

I could see the two plastic parts apart i.e. there was a small gap between then. With some force i.e. with pliers or something the parts would clip together and the gap would close for a couple of dives until they would unclip again. Can you see something like this in yours?

As I recall it, there is a hard frame around the glass with softer edges that work like a gasket or o-ring. On the front of the mask there is another hard piece, roughly v-shaped if I recall that fits behind the lips of the hard frame. Push that clip up and the mask comes apart. I cleaned the glass and the soft edges and reassembled. I'll try to get the mask out of the shed (no diving for now) and look at it again to confirm I got that exactly right.

Back
Top Bottom