Corrective lenses in my mask project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried this too. Works, somewhat. Keep in mind that because there is water between the lenses and mask the refraction will cause the prescription to no longer be correct.

In the case of just needing readers then trial and error as suggested above can work.

However with full script glasses T&E aren't an option.
Yes, water slightly magnifies so will alter prescription glasses.

We have have had one user that went to their local thrift/charity stores and picked up some glasses they found that was close to their prescription for ~$2 each and tried some until they found something that works.

For reading glasses, make sure you keep the arms and screws so you can reassemble and exchange them as it can take a bit of trial and error to find the correct pair.

It's a cheap flexible option and not suited to everyone.

I designed and sell these in my store as a flexible alternative to inserted optics in your mask, primarily designed for looking for small things to photograph and looking at the screens on cameras where you don't always need them in you line of sight, however people are using them for full time glasses underwater.

DiveVue - Mount glasses to your dive mask.

Bassically attaches cheap reading glasses externally to you mask using a gopro mount on a mask.

It is a bit of a trial and error to get the right magnification if you have specific corrective optics needs though.View attachment 834258View attachment 834259
that's funny

Interesting solution… I also would be concerned about fogging, but I love the concept!

I tried Super Glue to fix a loop onto the inside of the glass but that didn't work. Then I tried it on to see if my face even fit inside the mask with the glasses. It fits so well that it doesn't need any extra mounting. I tried shaking my head around and they stayed in place. I'm going to try them as is with no mounting system but I will put on a thin tether in case they fall out. We shall see. (Yeah, pun intended. lol)

This looks like a major project with a very minor benefit.

I assume you need bifocals like most of us do at a certain age? No crazy complicated Rx?

I have Cressi Big Eyes Evolution mask with negative optical lenses (awesome mask and not too expensive) and stick-on reading lenses (you can position them they way you feel most comfortable). No issues with fogging.

This looks like a major project with a very minor benefit.

I assume you need bifocals like most of us do at a certain age? No crazy complicated Rx?

I have Cressi Big Eyes Evolution mask with negative optical lenses (awesome mask and not too expensive) and stick-on reading lenses (you can position them they way you feel most comfortable). No issues with fogging.
Nah, it's a minor project to do while watching tv. I'm not sure why people think it's a major project though. There's no machine work involved, no fabrication, no 3D printing and no modifications to the mask. I don't know what your prescription is but for me, glasses are not a "minor benefit". The glasses only cost me eight dollars. Fogging may be an issue but I'll worry about that when I get there.

I tried Super Glue to fix a loop onto the inside of the glass but that didn't work. Then I tried it on to see if my face even fit inside the mask with the glasses. It fits so well that it doesn't need any extra mounting. I tried shaking my head around and they stayed in place. I'm going to try them as is with no mounting system but I will put on a thin tether in case they fall out. We shall see. (Yeah, pun intended. lol)

Just go to the optometrist to have your prescription glass in your mask. I will get mind in a week or two i will post pic.

What do you think?

Why not pop the lenses out of glasses frame and attach to inside of mask? Not sure what value the frames are providing

I'm not convinced this is a better solution than replacement lenses. But if you really want to use a pair of reading glasses under a standard mask, allow me to suggest the pince-nez style.

If they are good enough for Teddy Roosevelt...
tr.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom