Can COVID spread underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Some people even scientists have suggested that covid can spread through water. There were some studies of it being found and aerosolized through bath drains I just read about this morning and some scientist in California said it washes out to sea in runoff and then is aerosolized at the beach, making breathing near the beach dangerous. In places like Ginnie Springs Florida where people are still swimming like crazy, could it theoretically infect people while swimming or diving if infected people were previously in the water?

It's possible, there is still a lot we don't know about this virus. What we do know is that the virus is quite contagious and easily spread from person to person. The more likely danger from being in the water right now is just being in close proximity to other people.

Some people even scientists have suggested that covid can spread through water. There were some studies of it being found and aerosolized through bath drains I just read about this morning and some scientist in California said it washes out to sea in runoff and then is aerosolized at the beach, making breathing near the beach dangerous. In places like Ginnie Springs Florida where people are still swimming like crazy, could it theoretically infect people while swimming or diving if infected people were previously in the water?
No. That stupid article about the California Beach spreading the virus was nothing more than an attempt to induce panic and fear. You catch it from infected people or freshly infected surfaces.

@letterboy knows about the Rona and water.

I heard you can catch it from certain brands of hoppy malty water. :wink:

I don't think I'd be swimming in Ginnie right now. I'm sure it doesn't die instantly when contacting fresh spring water. On the other hand, there's a lot of flow coming out of that cave. The flow probably pushes most of the virus on down the river where it dies a horrible death.

I'd be more worried about the stairs leading to and fro the water. Probably it would be best to heed the stay at home order right now.

Does anyone think this virus is just going to disappear one day? In other words, let's pretend the virus lives in the water, if you believe you can catch this virus from the aquifer and that is not a risk you're willing to take, your days of diving are done.

You have a better chance of catching flesh eating bacteria while diving, or getting bent, not the Wuhan virus.

Does anyone think this virus is just going to disappear one day? In other words, let's pretend the virus lives in the water, if you believe you can catch this virus from the aquifer and that is not a risk you're willing to take, your days of diving are done.

You have a better chance of catching flesh eating bacteria while diving, or getting bent, not the Wuhan virus.
I was kind of hoping for a vaccine. I think my days of diving are done for 2020 as they're talking about winter for a vaccine timeframe.

People make me laugh.

Have you found a study somewhere that says coronavirus can survive in water?

All the presentations I've seen from the cdc and epa do not support the fact that coronavirus can survive in water.

People make me laugh.

Have you found a study somewhere that says coronavirus can survive in water?

All the presentations I've seen from the cdc and epa do not support the fact that coronavirus can survive in water.

Which is why I ask! I want to know if it can spread through water. Based on the responses here, it seems like the answer is "maybe".

Current (22 APR) CDC guidance:
CDC is reviewing all data on COVID-19 transmission as information becomes available. At this time, the risk of transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 through sewerage systems is thought to be low. Although transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 through sewage may be possible, there is no evidence to date that this has occurred. This guidance will be updated as necessary as new evidence is assessed.

SARS, a similar coronavirus, has been detected in untreated sewage for up to 14 days. In the 2003 SARS outbreak, there was documented transmission associated with sewage aerosols. The available information suggests that standard municipal wastewater system chlorination practices may be sufficient to inactivate coronaviruses, as long as utilities monitor free available chlorine during treatment to ensure it has not been depleted.

A study about using sewage in Massachusetts to detect COVID spread: SARS-CoV-2 titers in wastewater are higher than expected from clinically confirmed cases

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom