MCH? And nitrox stick for an independent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course! I’m already selling one Harley to pay for this. I’m not letting go of the other one yet.

But since this came up... what would you bank? The most common mix or the richest mix? For me it’s 30 or 50%.

Banking 50% ends up being a lot of fun and if you're not careful when topping it up the Volunteer Fire Department gets involved in your fun. No way you can safely run it through an oil lubed compressor so bank 30% and add the additional O2 to the tanks that need Nitrox 50 before filling them up with your banked 30%.
Michael

Just a quick note on your budget. While you can just squeak in with the MCH16, the MCH13 will give you a couple of hundred to do some of the things that have been brought up here.

I was thinking you would bank air. To pump nitrox I would have to bypass the bank. Is that not right?

Of course! I’m already selling one Harley to pay for this. I’m not letting go of the other one yet.

But since this came up... what would you bank? The most common mix or the richest mix? For me it’s 30 or 50%.

You bank what you use the most of, or what you need the most of in a hurry. I.e. you may have 60-70% of your gas needs as air, but if you can fill those on your own time, but the 30-40% of nitrox needs to be filled fast, then you bank nitrox. If you use 80%+ of one gas, just bank that.

@rcontrera - Sounds good. I don’t three phase and I want to make sure I add auto drain and shut off. What is the advantage to the motor controller? Does this give me auto on and auto off ties to hi/low pressure set points?

@tbone1004 - Air it is if I decide on a bank. Thanks.

Motor controller does a few things . First, it gives you a start/stop switch so you don't have to use your breaker switch. It also gives you a distribution panel for things like an hour meter, auto shutdown, auto drains, high temp shutdown, etc. It also prevents the system from starting if you go through a power outage and then get it back later when you aren't standing by. Both compressors can be run on single phase.

Motor controller does a few things . First, it gives you a start/stop switch so you don't have to use your breaker switch. It also gives you a distribution panel for things like an hour meter, auto shutdown, auto drains, high temp shutdown, etc. It also prevents the system from starting if you go through a power outage and then get it back later when you aren't standing by. Both compressors can be run on single phase.

while I am obviously a huge advocate for DIY, if this is only a $200 upgrade, you can't diy it for that cheap

@rcontrera - Thank you. The manual reads as if the auto shutdown and hour meter are integrated in the controller. But these are separate purchases and controller is a simple, logical place to mount them?

I did not see a wiring diagram in the manual for the controller. Is it hard wired to a breaker and then the compressor plugs into it? Or does the compressor plug in to an outlet and the controller is just control wiring to the compressor?

And I agree with Tbone, this is a nice and very cost effective option.

If you order a compressor with an auto shutdown, hour meter or auto drains, then the electric connections will go into the controller. The controller is located in a convenient place on the frame and the power cable comes out and runs to your electrical panel. The compressor does not come with a plug ... just the cable. You will have to check with your electrician for your local laws if you want a plug.

Back
Top Bottom