Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ours is for the last week in June and first week in July. Is there any information on this timeframe?

I have not seen anything definite for this summer but I cancelled my plans for the first week of July to GC already. I don't see them opening and having tourists in any form or fashion by then. Hopefully I am wrong.

I cancelled LCBR trip for 18 of us for October. Rebooked for Oct 2021.

This was pretty much expected due to the spread of the virus in the main tourist markets. It is sad to say goodbye to so many but hopefully by year end there will be some good news on how to control this pandemic.

The premier just said in his daily briefing a few minutes ago, that he still believes borders here will not open for at least another 6 months.
I wonder how many businesses will be able to survive? I wish them the best but I imagine the impact of isolating for that long will be devastating!

From Clearly Cayman
upload_2020-5-8_15-42-25.png

From Cayman Compass:

"Tourism Minister Moses Kirkconnell confirmed Thursday that Cayman’s borders will remain officially closed until at least 1 Sept., and no cruise ships will be landing here before then, despite cruise lines advertising sailings to Cayman in August."

Cabinet confirms borders closed until at least September - Cayman Compass

We were scheduled for late June on Little Cayman. I just heard from Pirates Point Resort, "All paid deposits are being honoured towards a future booking whether that be in 2020, or even in 2021. We are currently not in a position to offer refunds at this time. The Government have yet to offer any support to the tourism sector and as such we are finding these extremely hard times, as I'm certain, they are for you too."

Yes, hard times. I wish the best for the resorts and employees.

Sadly many smaller venues are hoping against hope. They are trying to stay alive and are in the unprecedented situation of having to return deposits while trying to save their businesses, put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Some entities are trying to keep the mood upbeat for their stakeholders. If you want definite info go to gov.ky. You will get the whole plan, unedited, not cut and pasted to suit the needs of any one group. Many things even in the news are taken out of context or only state the words that fit the article they are writing. No biggie it’s the way it works. I disagree with the comment the government is not offering support. First we don’t pay taxes so don’t have that kind of structure to fall back on. We all know this going in. However the government had worked with banks regarding mortgages, landlords with rents, the utility companies can not do shut offs etc. I am not sure what else they are expected to do. Sometimes things happen and we don’t all make it through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom