Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with the comment the government is not offering support. First we don’t pay taxes so don’t have that kind of structure to fall back on. We all know this going in. However the government had worked with banks regarding mortgages, landlords with rents, the utility companies can not do shut offs etc. I am not sure what else they are expected to do. Sometimes things happen and we don’t all make it through.

I agree. I think the government has been trying to be as helpful as possible, not only for citizens but for visitors as well. The premier has said that no one should go homeless or hungry because of losing employment whether citizen or visitor. In our case, fortunately finances are not an issue, but the immigration folks have called a couple of times (as they know that with the borders closed we have had to overstay our visa) just to check in and make sure we were OK.

I agree. I think the government has been trying to be as helpful as possible, not only for citizens but for visitors as well. The premier has said that no one should go homeless or hungry because of losing employment whether citizen or visitor. In our case, fortunately finances are not an issue, but the immigration folks have called a couple of times (as they know that with the borders closed we have had to overstay our visa) just to check in and make sure we were OK.
I did not interpret the comment as a complaint about the government, just an explanation to us from the U.S. (the majority of their clients) that they don't have financial loans or help as some U.S. businesses do. It was an attempt to explain why there was no refund. I did not quote the entire email but it was well done. We have made several trips to Pirate's Point and the employees treat us like family. The email came from an onsite employee, not the owner. I am ok with whatever turns out to be the situation with my deposit.

Buy a $750 gift certificate and receive $1,000 worth of credit.
I would be careful with this type of promotion which is now becoming common all over for the travel and tourism industry. Just received one yesterday for Zermatt. It is being promoted in a number of different ways - support tourism, support those places you love, thank you and look forward to your return etc. That is all nice and may be true but I would not buy into any of these promotions for any amount other than that which you are willing to lose and treat as a donation. It may very well work out for both you and the business but inevitably some of these business will not be around when the time comes to use the purchase. This is true in good times and especially so now.

I completely agree with Tkaelin. Times are tough for the tourism industry but then again they are tough for most of the rest of us as well. This sort of promotion is essentially a solicitation for an unsecured loan. IMO, not a wise investment.

I understand and agree-

To be clear, I have no association, nor do I benefit from, the Sunset House promotion.

Just thought I would share, as some folks have been looking for ways to help out their favorite places.

Marriott sent me an email for 20% off gift certificates. I am surprised the airlines have not begun the same types of promotions.

We will be seeing a lot of promotions. All of the dive resorts are hurting. We own a condo in Turks and Caicos Islands and our resort has laid off 50% of the staff. It is going to be hard to recover employees in these remote locations.

Clearly Cayman has sent out an email stating that they believe they will be open for business on Sept 5. From that communication:

upload_2020-5-15_14-20-20.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom